Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 08:44 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Wow, a battery that lasts for weeks, mine won't even last a day! It is an amazon fire, & I am forever charging it. If it is at 100% in the morning, from an overnight charge, & I read for a few hours, it is often down to nothing by the evening.
That's one of the major differences between eInk and a backlit tablet screen. eInk is easier on the eyes, the screen never dims if you take too long to turn the page, it's lighter weight, and the battery lasts much longer. All things that make it much more ideal for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 01:31 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Wow, a battery that lasts for weeks, mine won't even last a day! It is an amazon fire, & I am forever charging it. If it is at 100% in the morning, from an overnight charge, & I read for a few hours, it is often down to nothing by the evening.
One of the big advantages of an ereader over the Fire tablet. If I turn the WiFi/cell off on my Amazon Oasis ereader, I can get a couple weeks off of a single charge, even with several hours of reading a day. Less if I am using the front light on very bright illumination.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 04-08-2019, 11:33 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Curious what the book fans think.
Well if your need is not for a tablet then definitely a paperwhite or some other kindle. They are much easier on the eyes then a tablet and can be used easily in the sun. If you tend to read comic style books and appreciate color then probably a tablet is better. I prefer a dedicated reader, less tendency to interrupt myself to check email or other things.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:37 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
One of the big advantages of an ereader over the Fire tablet. If I turn the WiFi/cell off on my Amazon Oasis ereader, I can get a couple weeks off of a single charge, even with several hours of reading a day. Less if I am using the front light on very bright illumination.
Oh, that reminded me of another advantage of an ereader. If you borrow books from the library simply turning off wifi allows you to keep the book until you are done reading even if your loan period expired. Not a problem with books with no waiting line as you can simply renew but if you are borrowing popular titles you run into the time crunch sometimes. You can turn off wifi on a tablet but that defeats the tablets other purposes.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:47 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Oh, that reminded me of another advantage of an ereader. If you borrow books from the library simply turning off wifi allows you to keep the book until you are done reading even if your loan period expired. Not a problem with books with no waiting line as you can simply renew but if you are borrowing popular titles you run into the time crunch sometimes. You can turn off wifi on a tablet but that defeats the tablets other purposes.
Is that true? That is good because I recently borrowed Slaughter House Five and have not started yet due to my slow read through The Lord of Light......

I usually keep airplane mode on on my Paper White to save battery life.....

Old 04-09-2019, 02:47 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
^ I return them as soon as I download it. The next in line never has to wait.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:19 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
If you want it just for reading, the paperwhite is better. The battery lasts a long time and you can read in daylight. The battery life for the fire is disappointing and you can't read at all in sunlight.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:22 PM

17,600 posts, read 17,629,777 times
If you read plenty of ebooks then get the paperwhite. I had a Kindle Fire and while reading indoors was fine it was nearly impossible outdoors. The paperwhite ereaders have several advantages over tablets like Kindle Fire and iPad. Much lighter weight, longer battery life, and reading on this device is easier on the eyes as it’s closer to reading off traditional paper. Reading off these at night in bed won’t disturb your partner’s sleep nor your sleep cycle like traditional tablet displays.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:26 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
I have both. I use the Fire for magazines, digital newspaper, and books with illustration. The Paperwhite is best for reading books with a little illustration. It's also good for outdoor use and if you need longer battery life.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:38 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I have both. I use the Fire for magazines, digital newspaper, and books with illustration. The Paperwhite is best for reading books with a little illustration. It's also good for outdoor use and if you need longer battery life.
Dear god WHY did you tell me THAT??? I'd firmly decided on the Paperwhite and then you make "Buy both" an option and that is NOT helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books