U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-05-2019, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Norwood, Massachusetts
1,784 posts, read 3,758,422 times
Reputation: 3132

Advertisements

Hi -

I saw that urban fantasy series have been discussed in the past on the forum, but it has been a number of years and the genre has been evolving quickly. So I wanted to share some of my favorites and look for recommendations for others since I am finishing up a series without any frsh leads.

Seiries I have enjoyed:

(1) Mercy Thompson (Patricia Briggs)
(2) The Others (Anne Bishop)
(3) Dresden Files (Jim Butcher)
(4) Sookie Stackhouse (Charlaine ?Harris)
(5) The Great Library (Rachel Caine)
(6) Outcast Series (Rachel Caine)
(7) Breakthrough Series (Michael Grumley)

Any other series in the genre to recommend? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2019, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
192 posts, read 40,463 times
Reputation: 532
Thanks for the post. Just reviewed comments and ratings for The Others, Written in Red. My library has the audiobook, and I thought about downloading it, but I do not like romance at all in books or movies. I see that's one of the five elements of this genre, likely why I haven't read it before, but what do you think? Is that a strong element of this series.

BTW: Here's Goodreads' list for Urban Fantasy, though I haven't read any in the genre before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 02:08 PM
 
4,058 posts, read 2,629,818 times
Reputation: 8794
I just read a good series on my Kindle. It's available through Kindle Unlimited if you have it. The first book is Three Mages and a Margarita (the Guild Codex: Spellbound Book 1) by Annette Marie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Norwood, Massachusetts
1,784 posts, read 3,758,422 times
Reputation: 3132
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNChicago View Post
Thanks for the post. Just reviewed comments and ratings for The Others, Written in Red. My library has the audiobook, and I thought about downloading it, but I do not like romance at all in books or movies. I see that's one of the five elements of this genre, likely why I haven't read it before, but what do you think? Is that a strong element of this series.

BTW: Here's Goodreads' list for Urban Fantasy, though I haven't read any in the genre before.
I am also not a big fan of romance although I'm OK with it when it isn't a huge piece of it. I'd say its a constant background theme but it isn't overwhelming and doesn't detract from the overall story. Similar to the Mercy Thomson books as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Norwood, Massachusetts
1,784 posts, read 3,758,422 times
Reputation: 3132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I just read a good series on my Kindle. It's available through Kindle Unlimited if you have it. The first book is Three Mages and a Margarita (the Guild Codex: Spellbound Book 1) by Annette Marie.
Thank you - I love the title already!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Cochise County, AZ
1,322 posts, read 837,779 times
Reputation: 2874
Have you read any of Charles DeLint's Newford series? The first in the series is Dreams Underfoot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2019, 06:00 AM
 
Location: Norwood, Massachusetts
1,784 posts, read 3,758,422 times
Reputation: 3132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Have you read any of Charles DeLint's Newford series? The first in the series is Dreams Underfoot
Just took a peek - sounds interesting - thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Maine
16,520 posts, read 20,787,501 times
Reputation: 19119
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Hi -

I saw that urban fantasy series have been discussed in the past on the forum, but it has been a number of years and the genre has been evolving quickly. So I wanted to share some of my favorites and look for recommendations for others since I am finishing up a series without any frsh leads.

Seiries I have enjoyed:

(1) Mercy Thompson (Patricia Briggs)
(2) The Others (Anne Bishop)
(3) Dresden Files (Jim Butcher)
(4) Sookie Stackhouse (Charlaine ?Harris)
(5) The Great Library (Rachel Caine)
(6) Outcast Series (Rachel Caine)
(7) Breakthrough Series (Michael Grumley)

Any other series in the genre to recommend? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!!!
Check out Darynda Jones's stuff. I'd call it Paranormal Romance as much as Urban Fantasy. It's in the same vein as Charlaine Harris, only better.

https://www.daryndajones.com/

https://www.daryndajones.com/category/books/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM
Status: "0-0-2 Game On!" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: The beautiful Rogue Valley, Oregon
7,311 posts, read 15,366,122 times
Reputation: 9498
Urban fantasy, for me, has been absolutely overwhelmed by YA and Romance - I can tolerate YA better than I can tolerate Romance, but currently I am tired of both of them - and frequently they are YA combined with Romance.

Ben Aaronvitch - Rivers of London series. The first 4-5 books, anyway, he's been distracted by comics for a bit now and it doesn't feel to me as though his heart is in writing the books. I've been disappointed by the last several.

Melissa McShane - The Last Oracle series. This series has some serious flaws, but I like the premise.


These are urban fantasy in that the characters feel modern but often the settings are quite different than our current modern world:

Max Gladstone - The Craft Sequence.
Robert Jackson Bennett - The Divine Cities series.

My all-time favorite:
Liz Williams - Detective Inspector Chen series. Love the settings and characters, particularly my beloved badger/teapot.

I started several series where the lead character was a witch/vampire/fae whatever working for the FBI or "Bureau of Magic" some other police agency because they all sounded like something I would like, but they were all terrible. I even deleted them from my Kindle library, so I can't help with titles....
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
Moderator for: Oregon (and subforums), Auto Racing.
When you signed up for an account, you agreed to abide by the site's TOS and rules. You really should look through them.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 05:20 AM
 
Location: Norwood, Massachusetts
1,784 posts, read 3,758,422 times
Reputation: 3132
Thanks to everyone! Some great suggestions!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top