U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 07:43 AM

5,310 posts, read 2,375,341 times

Advertisements

In my younger days there were a group of writers, mostly novelists, who wrote what I would call "challenging" books - "challenging" in that some of them were challenging in style and format, and all of them challenging existing received wisdom and cultural norms. Few well-read people of my generation won't be familiar with at least a number of these, mostly written between approx. 1955 and 1975. Some of the titles - most of these authors have other well known works, these are just right off the top of my head:

Catch-22 - Heller
The Sot-Weed Factor, The End of the Road - Barth
The Crying of Lot 29, Gravity's Rainbow, V - Pynchon
Portnoy's Complaint - Roth
Slaughter-house 9 - Vonnegut
the Rabbit books, Couples - Updike
Fear and Loathing - Thompson
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Kesey
Going after Cacciato - O'Brien
Trout Fishing in America - Brautigan
Beastly Beatitudes of Balthazar B - Donleavy
Naked Lunch - Burroughs

You get the idea.

So, getting to the point, who are the writers and which are the books of this type being written today (or recently)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:55 PM

763 posts, read 167,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
In my younger days there were a group of writers, mostly novelists, who wrote what I would call "challenging" books - "challenging" in that some of them were challenging in style and format, and all of them challenging existing received wisdom and cultural norms. Few well-read people of my generation won't be familiar with at least a number of these, mostly written between approx. 1955 and 1975. Some of the titles - most of these authors have other well known works, these are just right off the top of my head:

Catch-22 - Heller
The Sot-Weed Factor, The End of the Road - Barth
The Crying of Lot 29, Gravity's Rainbow, V - Pynchon
Portnoy's Complaint - Roth
Slaughter-house 9 - Vonnegut
the Rabbit books, Couples - Updike
Fear and Loathing - Thompson
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Kesey
Going after Cacciato - O'Brien
Trout Fishing in America - Brautigan
Beastly Beatitudes of Balthazar B - Donleavy
Naked Lunch - Burroughs

You get the idea.

So, getting to the point, who are the writers and which are the books of this type being written today (or recently)?
Your idea is, of course, subjective.

But, off the top of my head...

Don DeLillo
Jonathon Franzen
Bret Easton Ellis
John Irving
Cormac McCarthy
Kazuo Ishiguro

I might venture to add Colson Whitehead to that list, and maybe Peter Heller is a potential up and comer.

Also, Pynchon may well still be at it. Yes, it's been six years since his last book, but that's well within the typical range between his works. And Roth was writing relevant works into the 21st century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or