U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-08-2019, 04:14 PM
 
13,724 posts, read 13,719,517 times
Reputation: 40011

Advertisements

Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich is one of my favorite books. Can you think of any other collections of connected short stories that you have enjoyed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2019, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,740 posts, read 26,914,094 times
Reputation: 26791
Bar none (in my opinion), the prize goes to Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. It reads like one story, but it's not.

ETA: Oh! I just found this: The 10 Best Interlinked Short Story Collections
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2019, 04:52 PM
 
13,724 posts, read 13,719,517 times
Reputation: 40011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Bar none (in my opinion), the prize goes to Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. It reads like one story, but it's not.

ETA: Oh! I just found this: The 10 Best Interlinked Short Story Collections
Ooooh - thanks! I've just gotten Olive Kitteridge and I'll check out that link!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2019, 05:52 PM
 
9,514 posts, read 9,336,941 times
Reputation: 12044
The Girls’ Guide to Hunting and Fishing, by Melissa Bank

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...-melissa-bank/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2019, 06:25 PM
 
13,724 posts, read 13,719,517 times
Reputation: 40011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
The Girls’ Guide to Hunting and Fishing, by Melissa Bank

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...-melissa-bank/
I may have read that one years ago. I need to check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2019, 08:29 PM
 
Location: East Coast
3,218 posts, read 1,942,854 times
Reputation: 4813
Homegoing is categorized as a novel, but it really reads more like a series of interconnected short stories. It starts out with two half-sisters in the late 1600s in Africa, one stays in Africa, one goes to the U.S. via the slave trade, and each chapter is based on either them or one of their descendants in each generation up until the present time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2019, 01:05 AM
 
Location: Henderson, NV, U.S.A.
10,364 posts, read 6,291,642 times
Reputation: 18145
Chestnut Street, Maeve Binchy 2014

A Week in Winter, Maeve Binchy 2012

The Lilac Bus, Maeve Binchy 1984
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:50 AM
 
13,724 posts, read 13,719,517 times
Reputation: 40011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Homegoing is categorized as a novel, but it really reads more like a series of interconnected short stories. It starts out with two half-sisters in the late 1600s in Africa, one stays in Africa, one goes to the U.S. via the slave trade, and each chapter is based on either them or one of their descendants in each generation up until the present time.
Yeah, I have wanted to read that book. But I have a feeling it will be particularly gutwrenching, so I'm trying to find a "good" time to read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top