Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 09:27 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times

Advertisements

President Obama’s father was Kenyan. His half sister Maya’s father was Indonesian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 08:00 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
I'll read it someday, when I get around to it. Right now, other books such those of Nichelle Nichols, Nelson Mandela, and O.J. Simpson are in line, first. That's what I do, I'm a reader, I'm that person they give a book one day and tell me to report on the next. I read because I read everything. I'd read what various leaders of Africa wrote if I could find it in English. Which is all to say that I read to gain knowledge but not for a thirst of inspiration.

One thing about all this is if you don't care for the writer, if you don't want your money going toward their cause, buy the book second handed.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-21-2021 at 08:14 AM..

Old 02-21-2021, 10:13 AM

518 posts, read 401,350 times
I am reading his book. Not from beginning to end but rather from topic to topic based based on the index

A very interesting read from behind the scenes.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:53 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
I read few pages at night before nodding off. I am in no hurry to finish and I really enjoy it. He has written it for a young person thinking of running for President someday, it is evident in the way he writes about the working of the job. I am in the midst of the ACA negotiations and i feel so much anxiety knowing how badly it took off. Also anticipating Osama Bid Laden and the raid. It will be interesting to read if from his perpspective.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:33 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
To my surprise, I'm reading it!

I hadn't planned to, not for a long time, when the fuss died down, but there was a copy out on an open shelf at the library, even though there's a long waiting list.

For me, it's not as directly fun as the first book, Dreams From My Father, which is just about Obama's earlier life, very personal. Promised Land is supposed to be about the presidency, of course, which means that since I'm not that interested in all the details of wrangling over policy - those parts I read very fast. But it's interesting to read about all the pettiness and obstinacy that he was confronted with. I can see why it's such a hit. It's the first presidential autobiography I've read, and I'd bet that it's far, far more personal and more candid than most, with surprisingly detailed opinions. He's very free, and very enjoyable, about writing how Michelle or his daughters tease him, for instance.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:35 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Why was the fact that his first book was well written surprising? Writing is his forte. I saw the Adichie review before I read the book. The book was pretty much as I expected.
I suppose it was surprising both because we don't necessarily expect it from politicians, and also because when politicians are said to "write well," it usually seems to refer to their ability to write their own speeches.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:49 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I suppose it was surprising both because we don't necessarily expect it from politicians, and also because when politicians are said to "write well," it usually seems to refer to their ability to write their own speeches.
Trump should have had some speech writers like he had people to write his books.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:10 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Trump should have had some speech writers like he had people to write his books.
Trump cannot concentrate well enough to give a good speech, even if one was written for him.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:35 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Being able to write well may be a great thing for politicians......but not such a wonderful thing for the people. I am rather wonderful with the way I write, able to yank what emotion I want from the reader.

Old 02-25-2021, 03:29 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
Quote:
To my surprise, I'm reading it!

I hadn't planned to, not for a long time, when the fuss died down, but there was a copy out on an open shelf at the library, even though there's a long waiting list.

For me, it's not as directly fun as the first book, Dreams From My Father, which is just about Obama's earlier life, very personal. Promised Land is supposed to be about the presidency, of course, which means that since I'm not that interested in all the details of wrangling over policy - those parts I read very fast. But it's interesting to read about all the pettiness and obstinacy that he was confronted with. I can see why it's such a hit. It's the first presidential autobiography I've read, and I'd bet that it's far, far more personal and more candid than most, with surprisingly detailed opinions. He's very free, and very enjoyable, about writing how Michelle or his daughters tease him, for instance.
It is funny how his family teases him. I’m only on Chapter Four, but so far it is excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books