Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 01:54 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,039,301 times

Advertisements

James Thurber's autobiography is humorous. I highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 02:40 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,227,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I admit to never ever having read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy created by Douglas Adams, but I've seen the movie and played the computerised (text) adventure game which I found hilarious.
And I do like Douglas Adams' quotes which are not only funny, but also philosophical.
Oh you should definitely read the books. I actually like them better than the Radio and TV series and especially more than the recent film. Although I know people's views differ. They had to cut so much out for the film it was a real shame though - get the books!

That adventure game on the net drove me nuts!

Old 05-08-2008, 05:14 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,191,193 times
Originally Posted by RH1
Quote:
They had to cut so much out for the film it was a real shame though - get the books!
Maybe, but I'm easily bored and am afraid that already knowing the plot kinda ruins it for me.
But I'll read his sequals, if they don't cost that much.
I rather read them in original English and not the Dutch translations but unfortunaly importing them from England costs more.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:20 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,615,483 times
If you read bestsellers, the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich will make you laugh out loud. what characters!

Old 05-08-2008, 07:14 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,227,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by RH1Maybe, but I'm easily bored and am afraid that already knowing the plot kinda ruins it for me.
But I'll read his sequals, if they don't cost that much.
I rather read them in original English and not the Dutch translations but unfortunaly importing them from England costs more.
Reading the sequels is one way round it, and there are 4 to go at!! I have to say though, I can read them over and over again because it's the phrasing that I love, not so much the plot. I know the odd phrase off by heart but I couldn't tell you what happens for the life of me! Apart from house knocked down, Vogon ship, er.. heart of gold... mice.... er....? And I can only remember that because I saw the film recently! And that's only one book... (although maybe that's just my useless memory)

Then you've got the 2 Dirk Gently books to go at. One of those contains my favourite ever opening line for a chapter:

High on a rocky promontary sat an electric monk on a bored horse.

How great is that?

Old 05-08-2008, 07:23 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,191,193 times
Originally Posted by RH1
Quote:
And I can only remember that because I saw the film recently!
The thing is that I have the same thing with movies, I never (immediately) watch the same movie again. The only movie I did this with is the 1st Naked Gunmovie, because there simply were too many gags in a scene. I had to see it again because I wasn't used to that, so I wasn't bored.
The other movie I did this with, but were I only waited a day and watched it again is Memento because I wanted to check if the story structure was still intact.
Uhm, I guess I'm going off topic here so I'll just stop.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:22 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,140,238 times
"Anguished English". I've forgotten the author's name. The book is a collection of incorrect english usage from various sources.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:54 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,910,103 times
Love Sedaris and Twain

Other authors who make me guffaw, chuckle, or at least giggle:

Anything by:

Richard Russo

John Irving

Tom Robbins

E. Nesbit

Jean Shepherd

Carl Hiaasen

PG Wodehouse

Old 05-08-2008, 12:09 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,709,431 times
P.S. I Love You was pretty funny.

I also love Janet Evanovich.......Great curl up for the afternoon books.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:20 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,040,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Jean Shepherd
LOVE him! Especially the Wanda Hickey stories. That Ralphie/Christmas Story movie was so NOT like the books! Like PL Travers's Mary Poppins vs. Disney's MP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books