Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:35 AM

286 posts, read 1,322,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I dunno, Henry de Tamble was the most attractive male protagonist I've come across since Mr. Darcy.
OK - now I HAVE to read this book!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 11:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensgirl View Post
OK - now I HAVE to read this book!
hah!
Their similarities are superficial: (tall, dark etc) but Henry is quite a gentleman, and a dashing one at that. This book is really more of an urban love story than science fiction, but the characterizations were quite vivid, and their story compelling.
If any of y'all out there do read it, let me know what you think, even if you find it tedious or silly.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:56 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,642 times
There's another one I thought of - fantasy, as usual. Some of McCaffrey's Pern books dealt with the dragons' ability to go between time as well as space, and she came up with some interesting side effects of being in two places at the same time, and some of the dangers, also.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:59 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,698,700 times
Thumbs up Poco-I'm proud of you!!

[quote=poconoproud;4249121]I am an H.G. Wells fan...The Time Machine.[/quote]

Far out PO!!!! I love that book!!! And, the old movie!!

I'd also like to add the Bible! Tons of time travel in that wonderful Good Book!

Old 06-28-2008, 05:13 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,278 times
Travel literature is not normally something I spend a lot of time on, but for anyone interested in Russia or, broadly speaking, Eurasia, it's well worth taking a look at Colin Thubron's travel accounts. I've read Among the Russians, which was absolutely fantastic. Beautifully written. His books on Central Asia and Siberia are supposed to be equally as good.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:20 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Re: The Time Traveler's Wife - It is definitely *that* type of novel, where you either love it or you hate it.
I thought this book was fascinating and you're right: people either seem to love it or dislike it intensely...those of the latter group often say they couldn't follow it. It ranks up there with one of my all-time favorite books. I thought Henry was such an interesting character (Clare less so). The story is mesmerizing.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:45 PM

193 posts, read 812,598 times
I adored The Time Traveler's Wife! Am I the only one that cried at the end? It took me a little over a week to read it, which is pretty long for me, I usually finish a typical novel in 2 or 3 days tops. But I wanted to savor every word in this story, and sometimes reread paragraphs.

I also liked Timeline by Michael Crichton.

Time travel mixed with reincarnation can be found in my all time favorite time travely (gasp) romance novel, Remembrance by Jude Deveraux.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:18 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,916 times
I liked timeline, by Crichton. I have not read much time travel, but will look at the library for some of the selections mentioned!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Just remembered another favorite. This is especially fun for history buffs:

Connie Willis' The Doomsday Book
In the novel Willis imagines a near future in which historians do field work by traveling into the past as observers..... a young historian specializing in medieval history, persuades her reluctant instructor and the authorities running the project to send her to England in the early 14th century. This period has previously been thought too dangerous for anyone to visit, particularly an inexperienced young woman. She will be the first historian to visit the period, and believes that she is well prepared for what she will encounter....due to the technician's illness, she has been sent through to England at the wrong time: she has arrived during the Black Death epidemic in England.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:01 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,079 times
There's a book I read a long time ago, written as a colaboration between two of my favorite fantasy authors: Judith Tarr and Harry Turtledove called The Household Gods. The story is about a woman (a single mother and a lawyer set in 1990's). One night, while getting ready to go to sleep after a long and thoroughly aggravating day, she wishes for a simpler time in front of The Household Gods statue by her night stand. The next day she wakes up in ancient Roman time, in a small border town between Austria and Roman empire, in her ancestor's body. The authors have done tremendous research on Ancient Roman time and it clearly shows since this is probably one of the most vividly written historical fiction I've read. They didn't pull any punches either, so everything was described vividly yet beautifully, the smell, the colors, the culture, the food, the ugliness of war, the people, the heartbreak, the joy, and the love, I believed it all! I still remember a lot of it even though it's been years since I read the book.

Other than that, I second, or third, Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series (although I only really enjoyed the first 3 books), and Michael Crichton's Timeline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books