Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 11:14 AM

485 posts, read 1,953,297 times

Advertisements

I like fantasy-not too much of it, mind, but it does provide relief from a hard old world.

I'm finishing, "Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" just now-I've read most of the fantasy classics, and could use some ideas as to what to start next.

I know I've missed some great ones, anybody else want to offer a few titles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 11:34 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
I would recommend Nancy A. Collins Sonja Blue
1 - Sunglasses After Dark

2 - In The Blood

3 - Paint It Black

4 - Dead Roses for a Blue Lady (a collection of stories from Sonja's world)

5 - A Dozen Black Roses (a Sonja Blue - World of Darkness crossover)

Quote:
Sonja Blue. A soothing name; one that slides off the tongue like a miniature poem. It's also a name that conjures up images of bloody, visceral, provocative adventures in the realm of the Undead.

Who is Sonja Blue? She's the not-quite-vampire anti-heroine introduced in Nancy A. Collins' award-winning Sunglasses after Dark, and who appears in Collins' most recent novel Darkest Heart.

Source: Nancy A. Collins

Old 07-01-2008, 11:43 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
What kind of fantasy?

For historical fantasy, I simply love Judith Tarr
For alternate reality fantasy, Harry Turtledove is good
For urban fantasy (werewolf, vampire, the their ilks), I recommend Kelley Armstrong.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Favorite fantasy authors:

Connie Willis - her Doomsday Book is especially good
(this book would actually fit well in my Time Travel thread--I might add it there)

Mary Stewart - her Arthurian (Merlin) series, with its vividly drawn characters, gives you a You Are There feeling

I have also enjoyed Anne McCaffrey's Pern series

Old 07-01-2008, 07:34 PM

485 posts, read 1,953,297 times
Not to forget the Preston/Childs stories-which are great fantasy but nowhere close to reality.

Agent Pendergast is an annoying prig, maybe Constance can soften him up a bit-I know he means well, and is so accomplished, but dammit, he's so supercillious.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:45 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
I have a lot of favorite fantasy books/authors.

There's Laurell K hamilton's Vampire books, which aren't your ordianry Anne Rice-wannabe, they are mostly set in and around a very recognizable St Louis.

There's Elizabeth Scarborough who did a wonderful series starting with one called The Unicorn Creed - the heroine is a hearth witch, and the action takes place in an alternate version of Alaska. And the Godmother books, and a lot of single titles. They are all out of print and she now has the copyrights, so they'd only be vavailable from someplace like Amazon or Ebay. Plus she's done a series with Ann McCaffrey.

There are a couple series by Robin Hobb, the Farseer saga and another one.

There are Donna Ball's Devoncoix books. They are a totally different take on werewolves among us.

Last but not least is Charles de Lint - his urban fantasies, like Dreams Underfoot, are incredible.

There are a lot of others, those are just a few I can think of at the moment.

Last edited by karibear; 07-01-2008 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books