Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:52 PM

134 posts, read 183,722 times

Advertisements

I absolutely loved the book but I was very dissapointed with the movie. I felt that they should have waited and not rush so much to make a movie. When I read the book, I though of ways that it would look on film and I was very dissapointed. For example, the baseball scene. That alone, could have been such a cool scene to shoot. I mean in the book, it was so awsome to try to visualize it but they didn't try hard enough in the film. Twilight had so much potential to be a great movie but they were too quick to turn it into a movie. And I was expecting Rosalie to be so much more. Come on! Do you remember how Bella described her. I didn't see it. Being that I love to read and I'm also a mini movie buff, I expected more. I don't think longer would have solved the problem that I had w/ this film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 05:25 AM

5 posts, read 6,852 times
Grrr...Twlight just rubs me up the wrong way!

Old 03-19-2009, 11:51 AM

266 posts, read 864,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaxlecrew View Post
O.k I saw the movie I so longed for last night. Twilight, IMO could have been so much better. Not one character came to life. No relationship between characters made much sense. I do have to say because I read the book and understand the characters I loved watching it come to life on the screen, but for those who have not read the book, I dont know if they would understand the depth of Edwards and Bella's relationship. I loved the effects and the sound track also but, I dont know, things were just missing and the acting was a little cheesey. What do you all think?
I totally agree. the book had such magic and the movie did not. Robert pattinson is definitely lovely to look at but i think they could have done a lot better for the casting of bella. I really think kristen was a poor fit. Also if they couldnt have made the movie longer to fit important parts in they shouldnt have made it. I find movies usually arent as good as the book but i really thought this movie was a joke at times. The only part i really enjoyed of the movie was the baseball scene. The part where bella went to port angeles where edward saved here and where she finally had a moment with him and realized he was a vamprie (in the book) was lacking. The meadow scene was what i really wanted to see and of course it wasnt in the movie. I hope they do a better job at new moon and i really hope bella comes to life more and kristen gets better at acting as bella.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:34 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,911,956 times
Rob Pattz.....*sigh*

Old 03-28-2009, 11:25 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,853,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamax3lovelife View Post
I absolutely loved the book but I was very dissapointed with the movie. I felt that they should have waited and not rush so much to make a movie. When I read the book, I though of ways that it would look on film and I was very dissapointed. For example, the baseball scene. That alone, could have been such a cool scene to shoot. I mean in the book, it was so awsome to try to visualize it but they didn't try hard enough in the film. Twilight had so much potential to be a great movie but they were too quick to turn it into a movie. And I was expecting Rosalie to be so much more. Come on! Do you remember how Bella described her. I didn't see it. Being that I love to read and I'm also a mini movie buff, I expected more. I don't think longer would have solved the problem that I had w/ this film.
I agree, the movie could have been so much better. The descriptions of some of the characters were a little off. I also imagined Rosalie to be this amazingly beautiful character and I did not see that as it was described in the book. Some of the scenes were a little cheesy to me, especially when they were flying through the forest, the book made it so much more magical to me as a lot of the things in the book seemed better than the movie. I imagined Charlie's home exactly how it was in the movie, though.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:43 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,713,271 times
I would like to state first of all that I have not read the books, nor have I seen the movie. But I want to (sort of). The movie looks interesting, but I have mixed feelings on watching the movie first before reading the books, but I also don't really want to read the books. Of course, a movie isn't usually going to be as good as the book(s), which is also why I don't want to see the movie first (that, and I don't like the guy that plays Edward).

But mostly: I'm curious because these books have gotten a lot of hype and I want to know what it's all about but it seems as though the subject matter won't interest me all that much. :/

Old 05-03-2009, 07:32 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,444,947 times
I've just finished watching the movie after having read the first book. I must say that I am surprised at how many people like the actor chosen for Edward. I actually thought that he was really not suited for the part. He is not at all as the Edward described in the book. I wonder if some of the problem was the horrendous make up and dreadful hairdo, more like an Elvis' fan than a cool vampire. In the attempt to make his canines more pronounced they made him lkook as if he was wearing brackets.
Bella on the other hand was more or less as I imagined her should be, but then it is easier to cast an actress to play an ordinary girl (although in the book her personality is quite interesting). Finding an actor looking handsome, misterious, elegant, sophisticated, wild, gentle, human and non human at the same time ect .is more difficult, I recognize it.

As for the movie, there were also quite a few scenes not really present in the book and frankly not necessary while a lot has been left out in Bella character building and her life in Forks.

Almost always the book is better than the movie but if this case it is particularly true. Pity

Last edited by hutch5; 05-03-2009 at 08:14 AM..

Old 05-03-2009, 01:00 PM

266 posts, read 864,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
I've just finished watching the movie after having read the first book. I must say that I am surprised at how many people like the actor chosen for Edward. I actually thought that he was really not suited for the part. He is not at all as the Edward described in the book. I wonder if some of the problem was the horrendous make up and dreadful hairdo, more like an Elvis' fan than a cool vampire. In the attempt to make his canines more pronounced they made him lkook as if he was wearing brackets.
Bella on the other hand was more or less as I imagined her should be, but then it is easier to cast an actress to play an ordinary girl (although in the book her personality is quite interesting). Finding an actor looking handsome, misterious, elegant, sophisticated, wild, gentle, human and non human at the same time ect .is more difficult, I recognize it.

As for the movie, there were also quite a few scenes not really present in the book and frankly not necessary while a lot has been left out in Bella character building and her life in Forks.

Almost always the book is better than the movie but if this case it is particularly true. Pity
Maybe they could have found a better actor to play edward but i didnt mind robert P at all. However i really thought they could have picked a better actress than kritsen. I really thoguth she was terrible. I have not seen her in other movies though so maybe she is better in them. All the blinking that she does when she talks drives me bonkers!!!! Since my favorite character is edward and im not really a fan of Jacob i really hope Kristen pulls through and does better acting in the next movie.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:13 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,548,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post

AH! The makeup did it for me. I recently saw Twilight (after starting the series about a year and a half ago) and the powdery white makeup was just wrong IMO. I thought they were supposed to be pale not '9th grade girl who just found a covergirl compact' powdery....

Oh well. I enjoyed the books and probably won't see the next few movies until they pop up on Netflix.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:16 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,444,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
AH! The makeup did it for me. I recently saw Twilight (after starting the series about a year and a half ago) and the powdery white makeup was just wrong IMO. I thought they were supposed to be pale not '9th grade girl who just found a covergirl compact' powdery....

Oh well. I enjoyed the books and probably won't see the next few movies until they pop up on Netflix.
I totally agree and will do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books