Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:25 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

Who here is a binge reader and why are we like that?

Sometimes I can read 5 - 7 books, one right after the other, sometimes with staying up to early hours of the morning to finish the current book and then after the reading binge of multiple books is over, not have the desire to read a new book for a month.

Is it something in our personality, is it a time thing or is it as simple as the way we acquire the books. You know if we buy 5 - 7 books at a clip or take 5 - 7 books out of the library at a clip, then we binge read whereas the person who picks up/buys books onesy-twosy is less likely to binge read.

I can say that being in a book discussion group somewhat moderates the binge reading because I can't read a selected book for discussion during Week 1 and expect to remember it after 5 - 6 more books in quick succession after reading it but before the next meet-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 05:51 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,041,763 times
Yup. I remember I had a big paper due one Monday and I had gotten The DaVinci Code on the previous Thursday. This was before anyone else really hears about the book or anyone was making a big deal about the book. I sat on the couch from Friday to Sunday, hardly sleeping, reading that book. I rished that paper MOnday morning, but I spent plenty of time reading and re-reading parts of that book.

I could read 10 books a week if given the chance.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:50 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
I don't have breaks where I'm not reading anymore, I just constantly read. The reason I used to go months in between reading spurts was because I wasn't great at picking out books and didn't know what to read next. I mostly relied on recommendations from friends and family and most of the books were just best sellers from random categories. So my reading was very intermittent. But now I've found a couple genres that suit me so I'm much better at picking out books for myself and therefore always have a book on hand to read. I've got dozens on my to-read list and I can't get through them fast enough.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:35 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
My wife is an avid reader. One book after the other.
I like history or military books.
I remember reading the Bicentenial Series by John Jakes years ago and couldn't put the books down. I still find myself reading a good book that I get interested in and realize that "whoops the birds are chirping, it must be getting daylight".
But I'm retired so it isn't a big deal if I forget to stop reading.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:17 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,674 times
I am a true binge reader in that there will be months when I'm reading almost constantly and then for some reason I won't read a thing for the next month or so...kind of like my exercise routine

Old 06-11-2010, 06:52 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
I read constantly, like a binge that never ends.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:48 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I read constantly, like a binge that never ends.
Me, too. I generally have 5 or 6 books waiting to be read. I read all the time. I always have. I'd even take my books to work and would read them on breaks and during lunch.

I've always been a reader it is my favorite thing to do. I panic if the number in arears is less than 4. Luckily, I have a friend who reads as much as I do and we switch out books. The only ones we don't share are nonfiction. She does not care for it and I love nonfiction.

I remember the books that I literally could not put down:
Mephisto Waltz
'Salem's Lot
Something of Value
Harry Potter...all of them
The Cat from Hué
The Help
Natasha (biography of Natalie Wood)
The Deliberate Stranger (story of Ted Bundy)
The Ruins
The Wall
etc....

I'm retired and I can read whenever I want and I want to all the time.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:04 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
I am also a binge reader - same thing... I ship through 5 or 6 books then don't read much at all for a few weeks, then repeat the cycle. However I am also a binge knitter in the same fashion, so I really am just a binge reader/knitter.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:27 PM

122 posts, read 197,232 times
I dont know if I would be called a binge reader or not, but I have amassed something like 150 or so books in 11 months. Thats ruffly 13.5 books a month. Or 3.7 books a week. I can not not read it is my greatest vice I guess you could say. No one Else in my home are readers just me they are TV watchers I personally only watch something like 2 hrs a week. But hey to each there own Happy reading everyone

Old 06-19-2010, 08:23 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
I am interested to know why you binge readers are like you are. I am a very deliberate reader. I take forever to read just one book. It's incomprehensible to me that a person can read so fast and actually understand what he is reading. How do you all do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books