U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:01 AM

13,036 posts, read 15,139,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

short stories of Hector Hugh Munro (usually known as Saki)

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Saki is such a sharp wit. I am a big fan too. He can truly be quite savage in his social satire. With Maupassant ,THE master of the short story genre.

I think I must be the only person in the world I know who just does not "get" Jane Austen. I have read many of her books and just thought "meh". I know it is a terrible admission which might make me into a social pariah but my mind is obviously not sharp enough to grasp Austen's subtleties. they are perfectly pleasant books but I just find them a bit dull.

I know, I know it is a crime against reason and good character to hold such philistine views...

I am a great fan of Thackeray though, his Becky Sharp ( "Vanity Fair") is to me one of literature's enduring characters.

Does anyone here like Thomas Hardy ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 12:00 PM

13,328 posts, read 30,118,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Saki is such a sharp wit. I am a big fan too. He can truly be quite savage in his social satire. With Maupassant ,THE master of the short story genre.

I think I must be the only person in the world I know who just does not "get" Jane Austen. I have read many of her books and just thought "meh". I know it is a terrible admission which might make me into a social pariah but my mind is obviously not sharp enough to grasp Austen's subtleties. they are perfectly pleasant books but I just find them a bit dull.
I just love immersing myself in Pride and Prejudice.
The colorful selection of vivid characters is a pleasure as it is, and I especially adore Elizabeth Bennet, but the story always wins me over as well.
Saki is wicked good fun, but so is Jane Austen.
Quote:

Does anyone here like Thomas Hardy ?
I think the OP does--check out Jtur88's second book.
I also enjoy Tess of the d’Urbervilles--so sad, though.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:57 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,423,144 times
Quote:
You are NOT alone!

All of my life, people have been telling me that I would like JA. I've seen some of the movies, and didn't like them. Just recently read Persuasian for BC, and could barely bring myself to pick it up each time. Made it through. I am now DONE with JA.

(but then, I don't like romance anyway)

Old 01-09-2009, 03:21 PM

202 posts, read 244,032 times
Quote:
You two are not alone! I'm an English major...and I just cannot appreciate Austen's literature the way in which everyone else seems to. I suppose it is just not my style, though I am happy to have found other classics that I adore.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:59 PM

13,328 posts, read 30,118,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
You are NOT alone!

All of my life, people have been telling me that I would like JA. I've seen some of the movies, and didn't like them. Just recently read Persuasian for BC, and could barely bring myself to pick it up each time. Made it through. I am now DONE with JA.
hmm, I would never presume to tell someone that they "would" like Jane Austen or any other author, but one thing I know for sure is that a movie is not the same thing as reading a book, and most of the versions of Pride and Prejudice are not that great. The only one I really like is the 1982 BBC adaptation, which actually quotes quite a bit from the book.
Quote:
I'm not big on romance, either.
But I do love Pride and Prejudice--I certainly consider it several steps up from typical chick lit.
Jane skewered a lot in that little book, and offered some fine insight into the human condition.
edited to add:
I think what might turn some people off is that Austen's world was so small.
However, to me, her ideas were big, and she expressed them succinctly and sympathetically.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 01-09-2009 at 04:49 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 07:13 PM

4,718 posts, read 4,730,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I think what might turn some people off is that Austen's world was so small.
However, to me, her ideas were big, and she expressed them succinctly and sympathetically.
I equate this to the four female Impressionists in the art world. The women artists did not have the freedom to roam about as did their male counterparts. They were limited to painting in the studios.

Last edited by tigerlily; 01-09-2009 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-11-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
You are NOT alone!

A kindred Soul at last ! Thank You, Thank you ! I have spent my life feeling like a literary "pigmy" for not being into JA at all. My fiance does not get it at all either thank goodness but he is the only person I have ever met who admits to this.... You and I should start the " what is JA all about?" club. There might be others like us, cowering in darkened rooms too afraid to come out of the literary closet.

I do find her books quite tedious I have to admit. "meh" pretty much sums it up for me.

Thackeray is so much better in my opinion.

We better run Lola before the "Austenites" with torches and pitchforks catch up with us. Destined for a life on the run, too ashamed to show our faces in full daylight...

I always wanted The Muppets to make a remake of "Pride and Prejudice", I thought it might make it more fun for me.

They did a pretty good job with " A Christmas Carol" and "Treasure Island" so I do believe a JA adaptation featuring Miss Piggy , Gonzo, Kermit, Fozzie Bear, Animal ,the Swedish Chef , Rock Chick etc... is long overdue.
Anyone with me or have I just signed my own death warrant with those sacrilegeous thoughts ?

I just noticed our numbers have swelled with Rdytogo. This is becoming a movement, we could start our own cult soon....

Old 01-11-2009, 06:55 PM

202 posts, read 244,032 times
Quote:
I just noticed our numbers have swelled with Rdytogo. This is becoming a movement, we could start our own cult soon....
Woot! Also...just noticed you're living in England. I love England, but I think you should go into hiding before word gets out that there's a non-JA fan lurking 'round!

So, if we're a cult, can we have a clubhouse and stuff?

Old 01-12-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdytoGo View Post
Woot! Also...just noticed you're living in England. I love England, but I think you should go into hiding before word gets out that there's a non-JA fan lurking 'round!

So, if we're a cult, can we have a clubhouse and stuff?

Oh absolutely though we may have to keep its whereabouts strictly secret... We could have our own secret handshake and club song too ! And of course an initiation ceremony, where only the purest of Austen sceptics could enter. I think one should have to prove genuine "mehness" in Austen by having actually read them. We do not want to dilute the quality of our membership with people who have only a superficial and dare one say ignorant dislike of her literary offerings...

We go to Bath quite often, a beautiful Georgian city where Miss Austen resided for a long while and it is rather hard to avoid the hordes ( or should I say herds ?!? ) of Fans. Mostly Americans and Japanese actually.

Thank goodness I have found you and Lola, I was starting to feel rather isolated. It can be a harsh and cruel world for those who admit to a lack of fondness and enthusiasm for her works.

I have drawn gasps of genuine horror and looks of withering contempt at parties , expressing my genuine lukewarm feelings to Miss Austen's writings.

Mind you I came close to being ostracised from "good" society once when expressing utter scorn for Shakespeare's comedies ! I dared to say that I much preferred Moliere's comedies to Shakespeare's and felt as though a dozen pairs of hostile eyes and ears were upon me, waiting to pounce and savage me for my obvious lack of intellect and respect for the Bard.

I love most of his tragedies and "histories" ( with the notable exception of "Cymbeline" which is one of the dullest, most tedious play he ever wrote) but his comedies bore me to tears .

I make the mistake every summer to go and see open air plays , thinking a "romantic" setting might help me overcome my perceived shortcomings in grasping their true beauty and every time I come away feeling cheated of my time. I swore last year would be my last, but come summer, with balmy weather, the backdrop of an ancient Oxford College I might relent and once again regret it.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:34 AM

6 posts, read 7,040 times
War and Peace
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Three Musketeers
Wolf Totem
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books