Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 04:15 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times

Advertisements

They should have had a ghostwriter finish the series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 04:21 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,535 times
You folks are hilarious! I'm at work trying pretend that I'm not playing on the internet, and trying not to laugh out loud at the posts here.

I first read Valley of Horses back in the 1980s when I was in high school. Then I read Clan of the Cave Bear. I thought the first two books were beautifully written. The rest of them were good, but the quality was on a slow decline. SoS was not nearly as good as the others, but I read it a couple of times.

I'm a Quaternary geologist and I work for an archaeological consulting company, so I liked her descriptions of the Pleistocene world and lifeways of the people. Some of the characters were quite likeable too.

I got the latest book from the library. (I wasn't going to spend money for it anyways.) I had downloaded the first few chapters from a website a while back and started reading it and it was ...not so good... So I read the library copy for a bit hoping it would get better. I got to about chapter 9 and sent that tome back to the library. I read reviews online and read enough spoilers of what plot there was to decide it was just awful.

Maybe someone's writing style can change over 30 years, but I'd certainly hope it wouldn't get worse. It sure didn't read like it was wrote by JMA. It was a totally different writing style; shorter sentences, like bullet points. Some other folks wondered if it was ghost written also.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:58 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
She is near 80 now so would not surprise me!

Old 04-16-2011, 07:21 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
You folks are hilarious! I'm at work trying pretend that I'm not playing on the internet, and trying not to laugh out loud at the posts here.

I first read Valley of Horses back in the 1980s when I was in high school. Then I read Clan of the Cave Bear. I thought the first two books were beautifully written. The rest of them were good, but the quality was on a slow decline. SoS was not nearly as good as the others, but I read it a couple of times.

I'm a Quaternary geologist and I work for an archaeological consulting company, so I liked her descriptions of the Pleistocene world and lifeways of the people. Some of the characters were quite likeable too.

I got the latest book from the library. (I wasn't going to spend money for it anyways.) I had downloaded the first few chapters from a website a while back and started reading it and it was ...not so good... So I read the library copy for a bit hoping it would get better. I got to about chapter 9 and sent that tome back to the library. I read reviews online and read enough spoilers of what plot there was to decide it was just awful.

Maybe someone's writing style can change over 30 years, but I'd certainly hope it wouldn't get worse. It sure didn't read like it was wrote by JMA. It was a totally different writing style; shorter sentences, like bullet points. Some other folks wondered if it was ghost written also.
I truly enjoyed the first book, then started on the 2nd...midway through I realized its mostly about explicit romantic sex...
My intellectual hunger for the series have waned therefrom...

Old 04-17-2011, 10:01 PM

I just going to say Part 3 was the Best of the Whole book! Tho I did Not expect that ending!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:03 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I was annoyed that there really wasn't an ending. I think she filled up so many pages with extraneous stuff, that she just ran out of pages, and the book just ended.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:20 PM

I thought the ending would be Ayla taking the 1st job LOL NEVER expected Ayla trying to Kill herself! That was a shock!!!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:23 PM

That's the thing that didn't ring true with me. Even though it wasn't an overt suicide attempt, it was one of those "I don't care what happens to me; I'm just taking this stuff and I want the pain to go away" things.

Knowing the character through 6 books, she was a survivor no matter what, and I think that even losing (the annoying) Jondalar would not drive her to not wanting to live. She would want to live for her daughter at the very least. I guess I could possibly buy that it was post partum depression from the misscarriage, but it's still a stretch.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:19 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times
have not read the book yet. Now I guess I don't have to.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
They should have had a ghostwriter finish the series.
If the series had been planned for more than 6 books, at this rate they'd have to have an actual ghost write the rest of the books, since Jean Auel (along with most of us readers) would be dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books