Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 04:28 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
I heard about that too.. lol. And.. I had just picked up Salem's Lot. I never knew he had written a vampire book. In my opinion.. his book is written well.. I think it's "balanced." But.. I don't think the story is as suspenseful or engaging as other vampire stories. For whatever reason, it comes off as Our Town meets Dark Shadows. I don't think Salem's Lot would've made for a very good movie but I would've prob enjoyed it as a Twilight episode. All in all.. I'm glad to have read it.

Actually it was made into a TV series movie many years ago

"The Stand" is Mr King's best work...or "the Green Mile".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 04:31 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,415,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Salem's Lot was a TV series? Interesting.. maybe I'll check it out.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:48 PM

128 posts, read 453,062 times
mini series. And actually, years before that, an actual movie. I recall being about ten and coming inside in the middle of a bright sunny day and finding it on HBO. I watched about ten minutes and ran away screaming, sitting out in the sun for the rest of the day trying to get the creepy off me.

I confess to love King. Also love Twilight, though he's right in his assessment that it was incredibly raw writing. Meyer could have seriously used another good edit on the first book, in my humble opinion. It took freaking forever to get to any kind of plot in that first book, but there were things in her writing style in the second and third books which made me really happy. Like any other writer, she'll grow and develop and as someone said earlier, the story is the important thing and all else is accessorizing. The better the accessories, the better the outfit, so to speak. She's headed for top designer-land to my mind.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:47 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
'Salem's Lot was a made-for-TV movie back in the '70s, starring David Soul of Starsky & Hutch fame.

It was remade into another made-for-TV movie a few years ago, starring Rob Lowe.

Niether were very good in my opinion. The old '70s version has one great scene (vampire boy outside the window), and James Mason has Straker was great. But the rest was pretty bad.

The newer version wasn't much better, but failed in different ways. To "update" the story, the screenwriters made some changes to the story that just flat-out didn't work. And they COMPLETELY misunderstood many of the key characters. But again, it did have a memorable scene or two.

As for Meyer, I didn't see the Twilight movie. My daughter --- who loves the books --- saw the movie and didn't care for it.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:03 PM

367 posts, read 1,023,791 times
well, i'm an adult and read twilight,but don't really feel ashamed of myself. when the movie was getting ready to come out and there was all the hype about the movie, i went and got the book and ended up reading the entire series. it's a cute storyline and made my husband read the book before seeing the movie. I had more fun watching my husband than watching the movie. They left so much out of the movie and he was having kittens. but as far as king goes, his is a different audience and honestly no comparison..but twilight wasn't a bad movie..it was entertaining but I would read king more. that being said, the author of twilight is young and i'll be looking forward to seeing how her writing matures

Old 02-16-2009, 12:09 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
You know, I don't care for horror as a genre (Too many real things that are scary, after all, why invent new ones out of thin air?), so I'm not a fan of Mr. King. However, my daughter just loves this vampire series, so I decided to check it out as I did the Harry Potter books. I was seriously underwhelmed by the quality of the writing, the plot, and the characters. I think, for juvenile fiction, the Harry Potter books are just 10 times better.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:25 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
I think King is showing his frustration with the industry, with Twilight being an example of how writing is becoming a lost art. It's all about marketing. You can be the most talented writer on the planet, but if you're novel/manuscript isn't the flavor of the month with the big publishing houses you can forget it.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:18 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I think King is showing his frustration with the industry, with Twilight being an example of how writing is becoming a lost art. It's all about marketing. You can be the most talented writer on the planet, but if you're novel/manuscript isn't the flavor of the month with the big publishing houses you can forget it.
you know, that's probably true! in recent years following the Harry Potter craze (especially as the series began to die down), it seemed like publishers were all scrambling to find the "next Harry Potter" or the "next JK Rowling". I think publishers thought Stephanie Meyer was one of the latter (I've actually heard her described as such and the Twilight series described as the next HP. Imagine my (and others) disgust when I learned nothing could be further from the truth!) when in reality, she isn't. now w/ her success, I'm noticing a lot of YA books being centered around sultry vampires (I like reading fantasy and kids/young adult books so try to pay attention to the trends). I know I ranted about this in another thread, but the vampire thing is being very overdone on all fronts, but it's more visible now w/ the financial success of Twilight and the rising popularity of the Southern Vampire series (ie, the basis for HBO's True Blood). we'll see how long this flavor of the month lasts before it leaves us w/ a nasty aftertaste

again, this has been discussed in another thread, but this is yeah I tend not to go after the popular/bestseller books. a lot of it is just marketing hype w/ no real guarantee of quality. some of the best books I've ever read I heard about through word of mouth or tiny review blurbs in some magazine. at this moment, there's very little on the NYT bestseller list I'm dying to read. I'm sure they are fine authors, but I have no desire to read the latest Grisham/Picoult/Patterson book

Last edited by eevee; 02-16-2009 at 11:30 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 01:45 AM

662 posts, read 1,281,912 times
He's wrong. JK Rowlings can't write either.

The criticism of SK seems bitchy, but SK is a writer, so naturally he should have a position and an opinion of things happening within his field. As long as it isn't vindictive attacks, all of us should feel the right to criticize things happening in the industry where we work.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:56 AM

367 posts, read 1,023,791 times
[quote=WordWrangler;7469957]mini series. And actually, years before that, an actual movie. I recall being about ten and coming inside in the middle of a bright sunny day and finding it on HBO. I watched about ten minutes and ran away screaming, sitting out in the sun for the rest of the day trying to get the creepy off me.

oh i remember watching the movie and had nightmares. i guess i got over it because I still watch vampire movies. but i remember that being a scary movie, but hey, everything is scary when you're a kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books