Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 01:19 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,033 times

Advertisements

DRM is not an issue really, I'm still searching through Gutenberg files and finding more to read after 2 years, the only ones I might suspect I would use are the downloads of the WSJ...which honestly I'd just read and delete.

Last edited by subsound; 04-10-2009 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 09:54 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
I am thinking that this Kindle would be the way to go for textbooks, esp. college textbooks in particular. They are so ridiculously expensive and with a new edition every year, you can't buy used ones, only new ones at hundred a pop.... someone needs to get on it and make it happen. That would save lots of college students lots of money.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:00 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,732,478 times
There is a Kindle App for the iPhone that I found very helpful.

Kindle for iPhone: Read Kindle books on your iPhone or iPod touch

Old 06-05-2009, 07:36 AM

546 posts, read 1,678,556 times
I just got the Kindle 2 for my birthday and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! If you're an avid reader it pays for itself very quickly. Books are cheaper than buying them in the store. I would say on average you save a couple of bucks per book, but I have bought a few and saved $10.

Reading took me about an hour to adjust, but now I enjoy it more so than an actual book. It's lighter, I dont have to worry about losing my place, or having something happen to the book (i.e. kids accidentally harming the pages). When lying on my side in bed to read it's more comfortable. Kindle 2 can hold up to 1500 books, blogs, magazines, newspapers at once. I enjoy the fact I can get a free sample before purchasing to see if I will like the way the author writes.

I really have nothing bad to say about my kindle. It's been so popular even my 7 yr old bought a book for it, and when Im not using it, will read a Magic Treehouse book from it. He asked for his own but I think he can wait

Old 06-10-2009, 09:14 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,033 times
Yeah, I just purchased a Sony reader yesterday (got an amazing deal, handles PDF's a bit better) so I will see how it goes! I love reading ebooks and I couldn't justify paying a kindle's price just yet, but LCD's kind of give me a headache using them too much. I will love to see how it goes!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:31 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,084 times
I've been an avid reader for more than 50 years and prize my large collection of books. Trouble is....I do not have the space to keep them forever. I have been loathe to give them away and I rarely re-read a book.

So, after much thought, I ordered the Kindle DX, have had it for a week, and WOW! I love it. I am enjoying reading with it, love the portability and am happy I decided to get it.

Now, I am slowly giving my books away to friends and family who also love to read, donating some to the local library and book exchanges and I feel liberated. Of course, there are at least 40-50 books I will not be able to part with and that's ok.

Oh, I went with the Kindle DX rather than the Kindle 2, simply based on the size of the display. It's still small and easy to handle.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:38 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,259 times
As a member of flight crew, I often see people reading ebooks on the planes. I make a point of asking them how they like their Kindle/Sony readers and I have never had one person say they did NOT like them. Needless to say, Santa is going to see one of these devices on my Christmas list! The luxury of not having to haul a heavy book around in my flight bag is heavenly.

Do any of you have any info/opinion of Sony vs Kindle? I see both in my travels but I am not sure which is more advantageous. Thanks for any info.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:43 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,080 times
This is really a toy for those who have money to burn. Nearly $500 to read books? That's more than a laptop computer. Not to mention kindle ebooks are expensive. No thank you.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:58 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
This is really a toy for those who have money to burn. Nearly $500 to read books? That's more than a laptop computer. Not to mention kindle ebooks are expensive. No thank you.
Except, of course, that none of them except the 2 very large format readers (the Kindle DX and the iRex, if it's still being made) are anywhere close to $500 and if you buy a lot of new hardbacks the e-books (especially on the Kindle) are far cheaper than the hardback, and often cheaper than new paperback. Likewise there are huge resources of FREE books for the Kindle (and all the other e-readers as well). If you are a voracious reader, e-readers are great devices.

Plus the e-readers are good dedicated readers, far easier to read on than a laptop, far longer battery life, smaller - without being too small - and quite portable.

Some people get along just fine on iPhones and Blackberries (too small of a screen for me), some people prefer only to read paper books, and some people like e-readers. It's just a matter of preference.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:48 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,080 times
Um, the Kindle DX is selling for $490 on amazon. But I suppose you're right about one thing, if you're the kind of person who never uses the library and immediately goes out to buy the newest hardback on sale without waiting for it to hit the used booksellers, then yes it's more expensive than a kindle book. That is of course if you prefer hardbacks over paperbacks as well. Like I said it's a toy for ppl who have nothing else to do with their money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books