U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:07 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,894,156 times

Advertisements

I think I have read everything James Michener wrote. I remember several of his books were really slow for the first 100 pages or so but I stayed with them knowing that after he got through the background material he used to set up the story that things would really get interesting. HAWAII, CENTENNIAL and CHESAPEAKE are examples of what I mean.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 12:27 PM

1,998 posts, read 2,715,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I'm trying to read Enchantment by Orson Scott Card, but I'm having trouble getting into it. I've read 100 pages.

How much time will you devote to a book before giving up? Have you ever finished a book that started out reaaaallllly slow that you were glad you didn't give up on?
When I read "Killing grounds" by Dana Stabenow, I read more than half the book before the action started. It's part of Kate Shugak's series. "A taint in the blood", also from that series, was slow too. The characters are interesting so it was worth it.

I think I didn't give up because I'm on vacation. But if I were studying, etc. I wouldn't give my scarce time to slow books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I might do the unthinkeable and skim through further pages to see if it does get any better but so far I have been proven right in my assessment.
I was "fast forwarding" "Killing grounds" and it didn't affect the story at all LOL . Too much love for Alaska, the natives' traditions, the fishermen's way of living blablablah.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:05 PM

3,242 posts, read 3,446,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
I am a firm believer in reading a book all the way through! For example, I have just finished The Shipping News, by Annie Proulx and found myself dragging my feet at every sentence. But, I perservered. Once I finished, I looked at the cover and went, "What in the hell inspired this?" and threw the book into my library. However, as the days progressed, I found myself thinking about the plot, and the characters and I kept thinking to myself, "I actually liked that book!" I was thinking of all the books I had "liked" and couldn't remember a damned thing about them! But when it came to The Shipping News, I could tell you EVERY character, their life story, what they did, etc. So to me, this told me that this book had a real effect on me, (probably more subconscious than anything), but I can honestly say that I'm so happy I read it all the way through! I think it made me a better reader, and made me come to the conclusion that though a book doesn't effect you at first, it doesn't mean it can't and won't. So, here's to reading books all the way through!
This is good to know, except for dragging your feet at every sentence. I have the book, but now I don't know if I'm looking forward to reading it or not.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:03 PM

3,242 posts, read 3,446,195 times
I will stop reading a boring book at 50 pages. It doesn't happen too often though. The last one I quit reading because it was so boring, was "Playing for Pizza" by John Grisham.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:19 PM

7,702 posts, read 8,136,503 times
I won't read past the first few pages if the writing is bad. If I'm enjoying the prose but not enjoying the story, I might give it 100 pages to see if things pick up. If not, I won't finish it.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:17 PM

3,883 posts, read 2,122,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I will stop reading a boring book at 50 pages. It doesn't happen too often though. The last one I quit reading because it was so boring, was "Playing for Pizza" by John Grisham.
Oh man, I waded thru the whole thing. I was very disappointed because of his reputation, I kept expecting it to get better. That was the first thing of Grisham's I read, and I haven't read anything more of his. Shudder. Oh wait, I did read that one about the guy who decided not to celebrate Christmas even tho his whole block had a contest to see who could out-decorate the other. TI read it before Playing for Pizza, and it was only okay.

Last edited by LillyLillyLilly; 07-01-2009 at 05:31 PM..

Old 07-01-2009, 07:21 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,006,379 times
For me I think whether or not I finish a book that doesn't pull me in depends on part on why I started it. If it was recommended to me by someone who knows my book taste well I will generally finish it. The book like this that comes to mind is "Life of Pi." The beginning wasn't bad but didn't seem that special until almost the very end. I also, like many many many before me (and many many many after me), struggled all the way through "Ulysses" to see why so many people consider it the greatest novel in the English language. I hated it the whole way through. But at least I can say I tried. But there are lots of books that I started because I bought them in an airport or sounded intriguing but weren't that I never finished. I don't think there is a regular point at which I stop reading. Sometimes it's pretty quick if, for example, I hate the writing style or find it flat out offensive, etc. If it's simply the plot seems slow to develop I will give it more time.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:03 PM

169 posts, read 327,338 times
when i get bored i stopped. too many other books to read! if it's a book i want to know the ending of, but can't stand dragging myself to read it, i just google the spoilers to find out what happened
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books