Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 08:42 PM

853 posts, read 966,541 times

Advertisements

I thoroughly enjoyed Lisey's Story~!! The first few chapters are a little weird , but after that - it's next to impossible to put the book down~!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 10:17 PM

107 posts, read 225,203 times
HUGE King fan! I read Salem's Lot as a child (scary!!) and about 4 years ago made it my mission to purchase everything in hardback as I will re-read them someday! Favorite is Dark Tower Series without a doubt, followed by The Stand. Lisey's story was hard for me because I'm a young widow but overall I enjoyed it as well. Blaze was different but I'd pretty much read a scrap of paper if King wrote on it! I now own them all that are available and re-read some when the mood strikes ~ can't wait for retirement in 20 years so I can READ all day long! For those of you that didn't find the Dark Tower appealing...try it again...I read the first one and didn't get it or like it but ended up reading the second one too, by the third I was HOOKED and went back and started over and it all made sense. I'm telling ya the man is brilliant.

My 17 year old son is also totally into him! Such a proud mama

Old 12-07-2007, 02:10 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,413,051 times
Blaze just arrived in the mail. Anybody read this one?

Old 12-08-2007, 05:57 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,656,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Blaze just arrived in the mail. Anybody read this one?
I read it a few months ago and loved it! It's so different from his usual stuff. Let us know what you think!

Old 12-08-2007, 08:46 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,413,051 times
Great! Thanks for the input. Mouth-of-the-South here, I'll be sure to share what I think about Blaze. As a young woman, I wrote book reviews, and about the time I actually met Stephen King, down on the coast of NC, I had just 'trashed' his collection of stories in Skeleton Crew. He was actually interested in what I had to say, which was flattering. He was such an interesting man. Friendly, too.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:14 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,656,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Great! Thanks for the input. Mouth-of-the-South here, I'll be sure to share what I think about Blaze. As a young woman, I wrote book reviews, and about the time I actually met Stephen King, down on the coast of NC, I had just 'trashed' his collection of stories in Skeleton Crew. He was actually interested in what I had to say, which was flattering. He was such an interesting man. Friendly, too.
Wow, that's so cool that you got to meet him! (I actually really like his short story collections, including Skeleton Crew.) Blaze isn't a horror story, but still very interesting. Have fun reading it!

Old 12-09-2007, 03:23 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,725,105 times
HUGE King fan here! My favorite books are probably Desperation (soooo scary), Thinner, The Green Mile, Carrie, and The Shining... favorite movies are The Green Mile, The Shining, Shawshank Redemption, Stand by Me, Thinner, The Stand, and The Langoliers (hella cheesy, but I love the story). Most recent one I've read was Cell, which was pretty good & fast-paced, but I found the ending a bit disappointing. And believe it or not, I've yet to read It or The Stand, because the length scares me... I will tackle them someday! My other favorite horror author is Dean Koontz, though I've only read a few of his books so far - loved Sole Survivor and Life Expectancy!

Old 12-17-2007, 03:08 AM

69 posts, read 210,932 times
Oh my gosh, I love Stephen King! My all-time favorites are the Dark Towers series! I started reading the series in 1989. I do have to admit, I was very disappointed on how the series ended.
My other favorites are Gerald's Game, The Dark Half, Green Mile, Misery, It and a lot of his older novels. I also recently read "Heart shaped box" by his son Joe Hill and it was pretty good.
I did not like "The Girl Who loved Tom Gordon".... I just never really understood the ending and well, just didn't like the story at all.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:40 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,247,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
His best novels are 'Salem's Lot and The Stand. Both are modern American classics. In fact, 'Salem's Lot is probably the best vampire story ever done.
You picked my two.... Both have made for TV movies that don't come CLOSE to doing the books justice...

Old 12-17-2007, 11:44 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,116,406 times
If I had seen the movie The Stand first, I never would have read the book. Don't think I would have had the slightest interest in it. Besides poor screenwriting, what bad acting. Fortunately it didn't work that way, The Stand is on my top 5 of all time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books