Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 09:57 PM

17 posts, read 38,028 times

Advertisements

I am a Huge Romance fan, But it has to be able to make me laugh.

Authors I have read and Loved:
Jude Deveraux (Read all her books)
Judith McNaught
V.C. Andrews (Read all the books)
Julie Garwood
Johanna Lindsey (Only 3 of hers caught my interest)
Joan Johnston (Read all her books)
Cathy Maxwell
Karen Kay
Cassie Edwards
Sandra Brown (Read Almost Every one)

Authors I tried to read but couldnt:
Nora Roberts
Danielle Steele
Kathleen Woodwiss

Any advice? I need more love in my life..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 07:59 PM

232 posts, read 846,178 times
Ok, I read a huge amount of romance, but only since I have discovered Angela Knight. All of her stuff has a large amount of humor. She writes paranormal and sci-fi romance and you have not laughed until you've seen the hero (Jane's Warlord) smacked down by his sentient wolf sidekick.

Johanna Lindsay has 3 sci-fi contemporaries, they are her Warrior books and they are very funny as well. Warrior's Woman, Heart of a Warrior and Keeper of the Heart.

Johanna's books are a little "softer" than Angela's.

My suggestion is to go to Amazon and type in the titles of books you like. They will recommend books that have been purchased by the same people who purchased a book you know you like. They usually provide about 20ish choices, you can go from there.

Also, you can search out publishers and they often break down their lists into genres. Humor is often one of the choices. A good publisher to start with for romance is Samhain Publishing.

I hope this helps you.

Vesper

Old 07-11-2009, 09:24 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,885 times
You could try- Nicholas Spark's and or Jodi Picoult.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:41 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,614,645 times
Interesting that you quite liked Sandra Brown but couldn't read Nora Roberts....they have very similar writing styles. Both center their books on very strong, independent female leads.

I'm a huge fan of Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb and can tell you she has quite a huge variety in what she writes. She's written close to 170 books (compared to less than 70 for S. Brown) and has series, trilogies and stand alone books. Most of her early books are pure romance, but for the more recent years they have been romantic suspense just as S.B.'s have been. (I own almost all books for both authors)

I couldn't stand Danielle Steele myself as most of her books were damsels in distress types and usually reeked of sad tragedy.

What kind of romance books do you like, besides wanting it to make you laugh? If you are looking for straight romance without suspense included, try early books Nora, Janet Evanovich, Catherine Coulter, Iris Johansen, Linda Howard or Tami Hoag.
Others that mostly write straight romance that you might try....Patricia Gaffney, Mary Kay McComas, Ruth Ryan Langan, Luanne Rice, or Linda Lael Miller.

If you like that added suspense, then the first group is a great bet and for the absolute best laughs, Janet Evanovich's series with Stephanie Plum (starts with One for the Money) will have you falling off yuor chair laughing!

Old 07-11-2009, 11:43 PM

Thank you for all the great suggestions so far...

The main reason I can't seem to get into Nora Roberts is that the few books of hers I've tried to read get too caught up in the descriptions.

I want something that will grab and hold my attention within the first 10 or so pages.

If I have to spend 5 days rereading the first few pages then It just pisses me off.

I like when the book has a lot of interaction rather than focusing on the scenery

Old 09-05-2009, 11:22 AM

I found I quite like Sandra Hill and her humor...

Old 09-08-2009, 08:18 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
I'm surprised no one mentioned Rachel Gibson. "Truly Madly Yours" is great. Susan Donovan is another one of my favorite authors. "He Loves Lucy" was excellent, and so was "Public Displays of Affection".

Old 09-14-2009, 12:52 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,015 times
For quirky - Amanda Quick or Catherine Coulter

My favorite romance authors are: Victoria Holt, Laura Kinsale, Jennifer Blake, Jane Aiken Hodge and Mary Stewart. Some of these are mystery romance and none of them are funny though.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:30 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,351,142 times
I enjoy Debbie Macomber.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:11 PM

223 posts, read 531,837 times
How about Charlaine Harris and the Sookie Stackhouse series. Romance, comedy, and will hold your attention for hours......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books