U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:52 PM

15,098 posts, read 19,745,581 times

Advertisements

Lots and lots of casting news coming out about the miniseries. Pretty much all of the major roles --- with the exception of Cersei -- have been cast and announced.

More here (with pics): Not A Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 07:33 PM

6,005 posts, read 13,188,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Lots and lots of casting news coming out about the miniseries. Pretty much all of the major roles --- with the exception of Cersei -- have been cast and announced.

More here (with pics): Not A Blog
didn't see anything regarding Bran, unless I missed it. I wonder if they'll even bother w/ the youngest son (I can't even remember his name, but I never found him to be that central to the plot, other than having the wildest and most vicious direwolf of he group). guy playing Jamie is quite handsome so he'll do . I'll have to watch some episodes of The Tudors to check out the girl playing Dany to make sure she does justice to my favorite character. now it's just a matter of finding a sexy, crazy, evil Cersei and casting her equally crazy son

so far, I guess I'm satisfied w/ the casting though I REALLY wished more Americans had been casted. IDK the nationality of most of the cast, especially the kids, but they appear to all be Britons or from other parts of the UK/Europe. it would have been nice to see Americans represented in a film based on the works of an American writer (nothing against brits, it just seems like they are the ones mostly casted for fantasy films)

Old 08-25-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
so far, I guess I'm satisfied w/ the casting though I REALLY wished more Americans had been casted. IDK the nationality of most of the cast, especially the kids, but they appear to all be Britons or from other parts of the UK/Europe. it would have been nice to see Americans represented in a film based on the works of an American writer (nothing against brits, it just seems like they are the ones mostly casted for fantasy films)
Well, in this case I think it's simple a practical matter. The series is being co-produced by the BBC and filmed in the UK and Morocco. Casting local actors is simply cheaper. (It's also why all the Imperials were Brits in the STAR WARS movies -- they were filming in England.) The same was true of HBO's Rome. Flying in American actors (who cost more) and having to pay them enough to live in a foreign country increases production costs. If they were filming in the States, I'm sure there would be a lot more Americans in the cast.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:25 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,537,376 times
I cant wait! Its goig to be a laugh to see the burned me, the black ears and tyrion on screen

Old 08-26-2009, 10:17 AM

6,005 posts, read 13,188,736 times
Quote:
Well, in this case I think it's simple a practical matter. The series is being co-produced by the BBC and filmed in the UK and Morocco. Casting local actors is simply cheaper. (It's also why all the Imperials were Brits in the STAR WARS movies -- they were filming in England.) The same was true of HBO's Rome. Flying in American actors (who cost more) and having to pay them enough to live in a foreign country increases production costs. If they were filming in the States, I'm sure there would be a lot more Americans in the cast.
ah, okay, that does make more sense. still a pity though.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:10 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,154,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Another problem I noticed is the length of time it takes to progress certain plotlines or how they just seem to stall forever without much forward movement. For instance It took Sansa 3 whole books to escape her imprisonment.
I felt this way about Jordan's Wheel of Time. I can't remember where I pooped on on the series....Book 7? I loved the first few books and eagerly waited the next installment. But at some point nothing seemed to be happening, the whole book seemed to keep recapping personality points and plot points for anyone who might have picked up the books in the middle of the series(?), I just got tired of it repeating and repeating and at some point by the time a new book came out I waited for paperback, then lost track of whether paperback came out, then by that time a couple of next installments had come out and I couldn't remember where I stopped and....I just never went back to it. I might at some point but I'd have to figure out what book I stopped on and skim part of it or something and it all seems too much trouble

Old 08-29-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I felt this way about Jordan's Wheel of Time. I can't remember where I pooped on on the series....Book 7? I loved the first few books and eagerly waited the next installment. But at some point nothing seemed to be happening
Check out the third one from the bottom: http://mightygodking.com/index.php/2...eading-habits/

Just about sums it up.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:05 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,537,376 times
You know ive been wondering how they are going to finish off the HBO series on this. I mean the books are not even done...so how will they end it ?

Old 09-02-2009, 02:41 PM

7,843 posts, read 11,154,564 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Check out the third one from the bottom: Mightygodking.com Post Topic MGK Versus His Adolescent Reading Habits

Just about sums it up.
Those are pretty funny.

I looked for the first book of this series at the library yesterday but it was out. Today I read more about the HBO series and am wondering if I should read it - I sort of have to choose as once I read something I rarely like the movie or tv version.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I looked for the first book of this series at the library yesterday but it was out. Today I read more about the HBO series and am wondering if I should read it - I sort of have to choose as once I read something I rarely like the movie or tv version.
I really like Martin's series quite a lot.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the TV series. HBO/BBc is doing it. I liked ROME a lot, and so far they have made some really, really good casting choices. I'm a little skeptical that the director has the skills for a movie of this scope. But then I saw the same thing about Favreau and IRON MAN three years ago, and he knocked a grand slam with that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books