Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:20 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,627,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
This series is new to me and I wonder for what age group it is appropriate. I am always looking for good books for my two children (ages 13 and 10)
Probably not appropriate. Then again kids that age see worse in cartoons now a days. There is a bit of sex in the books as well as lots of killings and vulgar language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 03:43 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,444,004 times
Thank you for your honest reply. I will read them myself then and recommend the children something more appropriate.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:05 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,609,970 times
Thanks for the info. I may look for the first one soon.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:10 PM

22,836 posts, read 28,068,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
This series is new to me and I wonder for what age group it is appropriate. I am always looking for good books for my two children (ages 13 and 10)
Every kid is different, and I don't know your kids. But I wouldn't let my 13 and 10 year old read it. It's very R-rated, both in sex and violence.

If you'd let your kids watch The Sopranos, they'd probably be fine with Martin's series. But if your kids are confined to prime-time TV and PG-13 movies, you might want to wait a few years before giving them Martin's series.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:41 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,444,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Every kid is different, and I don't know your kids. But I wouldn't let my 13 and 10 year old read it. It's very R-rated, both in sex and violence.

If you'd let your kids watch The Sopranos, they'd probably be fine with Martin's series. But if your kids are confined to prime-time TV and PG-13 movies, you might want to wait a few years before giving them Martin's series.
Thank you, I will definetely wait!!!

Old 09-21-2009, 05:24 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,438,879 times
First 3 books were absolutely amazing. The fourth was good but not as good as the first 3. The last 3 books will probably never be finished

Old 09-22-2009, 06:50 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,627,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
First 3 books were absolutely amazing. The fourth was good but not as good as the first 3. The last 3 books will probably never be finished
I really liked the fourth book, especially how they ended it with Cersei. I didnt realize that three more books were suppose to be coming out. I thought it was only 1

Old 09-22-2009, 10:25 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,438,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I really liked the fourth book, especially how they ended it with Cersei. I didnt realize that three more books were suppose to be coming out. I thought it was only 1
AFFC was missing half the characters and the characters that were included weren't that interesting sometimes, like Brienne. Things were happening that didn't necessarily advance the plot. Not saying it was bad but first 3 books were better.
ADWD is the next book due to come out (when? Marin promised it in 2006 )
After ADWD, the next 2 books are The Winds of Winter, and A Dream of Spring. At the pace Martin is writing, it may be well more than 10 years before the series is complete, so there is a good chance the series wont ever be finished.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:37 PM

20 posts, read 75,845 times
Necro-bump

I just finished a Feast for Crows. This is a fantastic series; Martin put so much thought into everything, it's almost like a real world. My head would explode if I tried to do this.
IMO there were two very gruesome scenes that made me put the book down for a couple days; in a Storm of Swords
Spoiler
when it described the way someone got beheaded with several vicious slashes to their neck. Really the whole Red Wedding was depressing and hard to read.
The other is in a Feast for Crows,
Spoiler
when Biter starts eating Brienne's face. I can just picture a mouth full of sharp, yellow teeth descending on my face...it sends shivers up my spine.

Props to GRRM for not pulling any punches, although I think the amount of gore was unnecessary at times.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:06 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,371,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
AFFC was missing half the characters and the characters that were included weren't that interesting sometimes, like Brienne. Things were happening that didn't necessarily advance the plot. Not saying it was bad but first 3 books were better.
ADWD is the next book due to come out (when? Marin promised it in 2006 )
After ADWD, the next 2 books are The Winds of Winter, and A Dream of Spring. At the pace Martin is writing, it may be well more than 10 years before the series is complete, so there is a good chance the series wont ever be finished.
But by splitting the book he got ADWD written much sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books