Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 06:22 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,325,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yes the secret life of bees I saw the movie and then bought and read the book . awesome both of them I mean dakota fanning , queen latifa , aleisha keys , all the actors and actresses in that movie were cast perfectly for the parts and the movie was awesome and so was the book . there were parts in the book that were not in the movie which is par for the course . but yeah this was the first time I had ever done this watch the movie before reading the book .
I enjoyed the book, but I REALLY liked the movie. I thought it was one of the very few times that the movie was better than the book.

In response to the OP, I saw the movie version of Gone With the Wind when I was a kid, but didn't read the book until Jr. High. I've since read the book about 4 more times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 11:33 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,713,090 times
There were a few, but sadly I can't remember which ones. Most of them were for school though. I always try very hard to read the book before I watch the movie because if I see the movie first it spoils major plot points for the book and then I'll find the book to be a let down. Also because if I see the movie first I don't see much point in reading the book, even though I know there is one.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:41 PM

89 posts, read 200,905 times
The only one I can think of at the moment is "The Firm". I am glad too because apparently that movie disappointed a lot of people.....

Old 07-24-2009, 09:51 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,637,395 times
I thought of one that is a must-read, and everyone has seen the movie. "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" by T E Lawrence, the basis of "Lawrence of Arabia".

Old 07-24-2009, 12:46 PM

497 posts, read 1,172,379 times
I read "No Country for Old Men" after I saw the movie. The movie was so good it intrigued me to read the book. The book aces the movie, but not by much.

Saw "To Kill a Mockingbird" when I was 12. The movie inspired me to read the book. I went to school the day after seeing the film and told my Teacher about it and how much I had loved it. She called my Mom and asked permission to lend me the book. Mom had to take it away from me that night to get me to go to sleep. I devoured that book. It changed me. At the end of the school year, that Teacher gifted me with my own brand new copy. I literally wore it out. The copy that sits on my shelf now is at least my 4th copy.

The movie was astonishing. The book was better only in that it carried more details.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:39 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,163,943 times
If I read the book first I am usually disappointed in the movie.
I waited to read any Harry Potter books till after the first or second movie came out which worked for me.
I think I saw Gone With The Wind when I was 16 or 17 on a rerelease to theaters - was totally taken by it and then read the book. Honestly though with that one I'm not sure reading the book first would have matter because the movie was perfect - but of course I would think that right?
I had read and reread The Lord of Rings - absolute favorites. Can't watch the movies - its almost always casting casting casting that throws me, not so much what they leave out or extras they put in. If the casting seems off its over. Same with Anne Rice's Vampire movie - I had read the books, the movies tone and storyline followed the book pretty well, I was happy with the sets etc. but I thought Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise were awful for their roles and just ruined it. Once you've imagined a characters voice in the book casting is critical.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:02 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,410,824 times
I do this quiet often, though not usually on purpose! If I see an excellent movie that I then find out was based on a book, I will go out and read the book. A few examples:
No Country for Old Men
Then She Found Me
I Am Legend (only very loosely based on the book)
The Color Purple
How Stella Got Her Groove Back
Dances With Wolves
and, one of my favorites, Cold Mountain

Old 07-27-2009, 06:02 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,637,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
and, one of my favorites, Cold Mountain
I never saw the movie,---well, I might have seen half of it on a desperate night on cable. But the book is excellent, as is "Thirteen Moons", also by Frazier.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:53 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,410,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I never saw the movie,---well, I might have seen half of it on a desperate night on cable. But the book is excellent, as is "Thirteen Moons", also by Frazier.
Oh, yes! Thirteen Moons was fantastic. I actually saw Cold Mountain (it is definitely worth the viewing) read Thirteen Moons, and then read Cold Mountain. Really, give the movie a shot.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:39 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,945,916 times
Yes, The Diary of Anne Frank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books