Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 10:40 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,859,055 times

Advertisements

Read the book ONE SECOND AFTER. I can't recall the name of the author but the book is fairly recent. The premise of the book is what happens immediately after the United States is attacked by unknown terrorists using an Electromagnetic Pulse Weapon. EMP's are real! A quick GOOGLE search will give you more information about them than you can read in a day.

Of all the apocalyptic stories I have read in the last forty years this one is one of the most realistic and likely events that could happen.

A book that should be read by everyone. Especially our leaders.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 11:39 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,306,456 times
I read it. I agree that it is an exciting book and a very upsetting one. It sure made me appreciate my freezer. Then about 2 months after I read it I was diagnosed with diabetes-type 2. No insulin on Type 2 but it can escalate to type 1. It won't if things go well. Talk about incentive to take care of myself. Jeeeeeez.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I read it. I agree that it is an exciting book and a very upsetting one. It sure made me appreciate my freezer. Then about 2 months after I read it I was diagnosed with diabetes-type 2. No insulin on Type 2 but it can escalate to type 1. It won't if things go well. Talk about incentive to take care of myself. Jeeeeeez.
We do depend on our technology don't we? I take medicine for gout. Without it I would be in so much pain in a week I don't know if I would even want to live.

I broke my glasses the other day but luckily I had an extra pair. Just two generations back my grandparents were pioneers. I don't think too many near sighted pioneers could have survived on the Great Plains in the 1880's.

GL2

Old 09-12-2009, 12:05 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,306,456 times
We really do rely on technology, I agree. Just think of the times the electricity has gone out and yet, in the dark, we continue to enter rooms and flip the switch for light.

After I read the book I looked out at the pool and thought to myself that I better stock up on chlorine....just in case.

Have you read The Road by Cormac McCarthy? That is another very fine book but it is also very upsetting. It, too, is apocalyptic.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
We really do rely on technology, I agree. Just think of the times the electricity has gone out and yet, in the dark, we continue to enter rooms and flip the switch for light.

After I read the book I looked out at the pool and thought to myself that I better stock up on chlorine....just in case.

Have you read The Road by Cormac McCarthy? That is another very fine book but it is also very upsetting. It, too, is apocalyptic.
I haven't read THE ROAD but I will. Recently I reread EARTH ABIDES. A story written in 1949 about the world after a biological event. One big contrast in ONE SECOND AFTER and EARTH ABIDES is the difference in an event where many people survive and compete for resources like in OSA and a biological event like that in EARTH ABIDES where there are very few survivors and an abundance of resources available to the survivors.

ALAS BABYLON is a good work about the aftermath of nuclear war.

GL2

Old 09-13-2009, 02:13 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,044 times
One Second After author is William R. Forstchen. I have added this one to my list of books to read. Sounds intense!

Old 09-16-2009, 03:01 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,078,578 times
I haven't read any of these but they all sound like fascinating reads. I admit I like a good scare; I'll skip the Stephen King and head straight to something a little more realistic and frightening-social unrest, global catastrophe, nuclear war and annihilation. The thought of losing all we take for granted scares me far more than the boogeyman.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,915,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post

I broke my glasses the other day but luckily I had an extra pair. Just two generations back my grandparents were pioneers. I don't think too many near sighted pioneers could have survived on the Great Plains in the 1880's.

GL2
People who spent very few years in school and did almost no reading had excellent eyesight in their later years. Reading and studying is what destroys our eyes. I've been birdwatching all over the world. In third world countries, I've met many rural people in their 50s and older, who can see the details on a distant bird with his naked eye, that I could barely see with binoculars.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:46 PM

You may have identified the reason JTur. ". . .I've met many rural people in their 50s and older, who can see the details on a distant bird with his naked eye, that I could barely see with binoculars."

Since you were in a Third World country maybe the reason all of the residents of that country had good eyesight is because the ones who had poor eyesight did not survive long enough to reproduce. A perfect example of Darwin's survival of the fittest at work.

GL2

Old 11-18-2009, 02:13 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I haven't read any of these but they all sound like fascinating reads. I admit I like a good scare; I'll skip the Stephen King and head straight to something a little more realistic and frightening-social unrest, global catastrophe, nuclear war and annihilation. The thought of losing all we take for granted scares me far more than the boogeyman.

Thank you for the suggestions.
If you haven't read any Stephen King, how can you just arbitrarily proclaim it to be 'unrealistic'? Believe me, though there are parts of The Stand that are pure fantasy (Flagg's seemingly unlimited powers for example) the main premise of the tale (the 'super flu' and the resulting collapse of society) is very believable. Scared the pants off me thirty years ago when it was first published and ten years later when he added back all of the stuff that was originally cut (plus a bit more) it was even scarier.

Last edited by MsMcQ LV; 11-18-2009 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: additional remark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books