Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 11:34 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,105,648 times

Advertisements

I have no problem with France and Germany and Isreal banning certain things that pertain to Nazi Germany.....simply because it's THEIR country....but in THIS country I have a very hard time with any form of 'restriction of Freedoms'

when I was in high school [mannnny years ago]. some of the books that we were REQUIRED to read were Das Kapital and Mein Kampf.......the teachers belief was that you can NOT fight Nazism and Comunism unles you understand them......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 08:52 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,611,475 times
No, I don't think any book should be banned. If you don't like it, then don't buy it or read it. I do think you have a right to control what your child reads but only inasmuch that it doesn't affect mine. In other words, don't lobby for a library to not carry a book just because you don't want your child to read it.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:41 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
As has been stated by others here, it is up to YOU to determine what books you don't want your child exposed to and make sure they don't find them in your home. But don't try to tell the librarian that MY child shouldn't have that book or that I, as a parent/grandparent shouldn't have access to it for my child.
Exactly. Maybe parents should actually be parents instead of expecting a nanny-state government to make those decisions for them.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:58 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Exactly. Maybe parents should actually be parents instead of expecting a nanny-state government to make those decisions for them.
My mother had a great system for her books when we were growing up. First, we all had our own bookcases in our rooms where we would keep whatever books we had. Then there was the built-in bookcases my Dad did in the living room and the stairwell, where any and all books any of us had that we were willing to share were kept. When it cane to books Mom had that she didn't want us reading, those went on a bookcase in her closet. There weren't many of them because for the most part her taste in books ran similar to mine.
I do remember, when I was 14 or so, one of the books she'd just as soon I not read (Peyton Place) got put into the wrong bookcase and I read it over the weekend. I remember there being a lot of talk about it because they were debating putting it into the high school library, but, even after reading it, I couldn't figure out why my mother didn't want me to read that book.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:01 PM

522 posts, read 715,471 times
I was reading adult novels when I was 7 and 8 years old. Kids books were boring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books