Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 02:57 PM

37 posts, read 87,514 times

Advertisements

Over the years I have enjoyed reading a fair number of books by James Michener. His historical novels are a nice combination of storyline and historical info, merged into sweeping picturewords that never failed to bore me. Some fictional faves included.....

Poland - My family is a nice mixture of Polish, Lithuanian, Russian, and German. Poland was a fun read.

Texas - Talk about big country sprawling! What a great way to learn some of the history of The Lone Star State.

Chesapeake - After reading Chesapeake I longed to jump in a car and motor east, to see the big bay first hand. (I reside in NW Ohio.)

Alaska - My favorite Michener book......read it a couple times. Good stuff.

The only Michener non-fiction I read was Kent State: What Happened & Why. Excellent and (IMO) objective treatment of an event that divided our nation, back in 1970.
_____

As the winter winds prepare to descend on my part of the world, it is time to stock-up on some under-a-blanket reading.....and Michener just may be my first look-see.

Any other James Michener fans out there? What say you?

Bear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 04:09 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
I read Michener when I lived in Cleveland. My favorites were Hawaii and The Source, historical fiction on Judaism.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:57 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
I have two favorite Michener books. Centennial is about the settling of Colorado.

The Source is the other one. It's about a dig in Israel and as more is uncovered the story of the various periods unfolds. It's very good.

Well, I have to list a third book: The Covenant. This one is the history of South Africa. It is excellent and very informative.

I've read all of his books except the Kent State story. I enjoy reading his books because he defines his characters so well and blends them into the history of each subject.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:01 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
I never read a Michener book I didn't like.I may have missed a couple, the Kent State book being one of them. CENTENNIAL is my favorite though because I grew up in the area.

Gl2

Old 10-21-2009, 08:29 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
I'm surprised no one mentioned Tales of the South Pacific. He won the Pulitzer Prize for it. The musical South Pacific was loosely based on it.

Here's a link to a Wikipedia article on the book.
Tales of the South Pacific - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-21-2009, 01:57 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned Tales of the South Pacific. He won the Pulitzer Prize for it. The musical South Pacific was loosely based on it.

Here's a link to a Wikipedia article on the book.
Tales of the South Pacific - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh yes SOUTH PACIFIC the musical. I had the album cover with Mitzi Gaynor in the bikini hanging on my dorm wall. I would kill the S.O.B that stole it even today if I found out who it was.

I do have the original soundtrack from the movie on CD and I listen to it quite often. I enjoyed Glenn Close in the recent remake but I still prefer Mitzi.

GL2

Old 10-21-2009, 08:58 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Up North View Post
Over the years I have enjoyed reading a fair number of books by James Michener. His historical novels are a nice combination of storyline and historical info, merged into sweeping picturewords that never failed to bore me.
I totally agree with you...he's one of my favorite authors. If you haven't read them yet, check out "The Source" and "Centennial".

Old 10-22-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Oh yes SOUTH PACIFIC the musical. I had the album cover with Mitzi Gaynor in the bikini hanging on my dorm wall. I would kill the S.O.B that stole it even today if I found out who it was.

I do have the original soundtrack from the movie on CD and I listen to it quite often. I enjoyed Glenn Close in the recent remake but I still prefer Mitzi.

GL2
Mitzi is still a cutie. She was perfect in the role because she always projected an innate innocence. I was so in love with Lt. Cable in that movie because I thought the actor was so good looking.

I've never read Tales of the South Pacific. I wonder why? I have no idea. Although, I seem to remember a TV series in the 60s that was taken from the book. I think I'll check on that. I really should read the book. It was one of my father's favorites.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:04 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Centennial was a must because I too grew up in the area (although I was not an anointed native.)

I read Hawaii about 7 years ago when we visited there. It was very informative and I loved the characters.

If I am feeling nostalgic, my favorite Michener might be Drifters. When I was backpacking Europe in the 70's, this paperback book was being passed around from person to person on the trains.
If I read it now, it might seem dated and even stereotypical, but the sense of travel and adventure never gets stale.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Centennial was a must because I too grew up in the area (although I was not an anointed native.)

I read Hawaii about 7 years ago when we visited there. It was very informative and I loved the characters.

If I am feeling nostalgic, my favorite Michener might be Drifters. When I was backpacking Europe in the 70's, this paperback book was being passed around from person to person on the trains.
If I read it now, it might seem dated and even stereotypical, but the sense of travel and adventure never gets stale.
Thank you for your post. It reminded me that I really liked his book "Caravans." The movie was not very good but the book is great. It's a peek into the culture of Afghanistan back in the 60s when it was a haven for hippies. I have an Austrian friend who did the whole trip (both kinds) in a VW bus in Afghanistan and as a result developed into a photo journalist. His pics are wonderful to view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books