Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:02 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
My Sunday School class is titled "Faith and Literature", in order to stay flexible and inclusive for people who drop in and out depending on their schedules, we only read short stories. There are several good collections that include stories that lend themselves to interpretation and discussion on faith based topics.

I have been so surprised about how much I am enjoying the short story genre. I have been gobbling up stories - many of which I read once in school.

So far, my favorite authors are Tobias Wolff, Flannery O'Connor and Raymond Carver. My favorite story that we have discussed in our class is probably "The Shawl" by Cynthia Ozick.

Are there any other short story lovers here? What are your favorites?
I once had a book that was lost in a house fire that was the collection of short stories bought by Rod Serling for the original Twilight Zone series. I should see if I can locate it somewhere. Sometimes the stories were altered somewhat for the screenplays, but they were pretty close.

They were very good stories and contained truths about humanity.

If you look in the writers sections of bookstores, you often can find anthologies of short stories, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 07:06 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
There is an author whose name I cannot recall at the moment. He served during the Vietnam conflict and his short stories center around Vietnamese immigrants in America. Maybe someone else can come up with the name--anyway, the stories I read of his were very good.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:17 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,446 times
On the subject of Faith and Literature I'd suggest Isak Dinesen's "Sorrow-Acre" from Winter's Tales. Bear in mind that it was written during Germany's occupation of Denmark, so although immediately the roundtable discussion will revolve around the tableau of a mother's sacrifice for her son, the story's center is really the tyrant who demanded it. His self-isolation appoints him spectator to a theater of poverty yet he himself, allegorically, is the protagonist of the set piece. It should engender good talk, and the prose is really lovely and painterly.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:56 PM

634 posts, read 1,447,879 times
Yes, yes, and yes to Raymond Carver and Flannery O'Connor.

Also, Silver Water by Amy Bloom and Gryphon by Charles Baxter.

Two of my favorites.

I'm a huge fan of the short story.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:42 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
I second Olive Kitteridge. Reading Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, especially while on the train, made me forget I was on my way to work. LOL. Two others that come to mind: Alexander McCall Smith's The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency and Jhumpa Lahiri's Interpreter of Maladies. I still love Chekhov's short stories.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:52 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
I think Raymond Carver's short stories are among the most powerful I have read.

I also like John Updike's short stories--a truly great writer.

Anne Beatty--wrote a lot of good short stories before she started concentrating on her novels.

The New Yorker has a short story every week, although sometimes they are excerpts from forthcoming novels.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:17 PM

105 posts, read 234,791 times
"death of ivan illyich" by leo tolstoy/ "at the cadian ball"-"the storm"-kate chopin/alice walker "everyday use".. Just to name a few of my favorites...

Old 02-19-2010, 09:38 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There is an author whose name I cannot recall at the moment. He served during the Vietnam conflict and his short stories center around Vietnamese immigrants in America. Maybe someone else can come up with the name--anyway, the stories I read of his were very good.
Are you thinking of Thom Jones? Love his stuff.

Another favorite: Somerset Maugham

I usually pick up the yearly anthologies as well (Pushcart, PEN/O. Henry etc).

Old 04-11-2012, 05:16 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I think Raymond Carver's short stories are among the most powerful I have read.

I also like John Updike's short stories--a truly great writer.

Anne Beatty--wrote a lot of good short stories before she started concentrating on her novels.

The New Yorker has a short story every week, although sometimes they are excerpts from forthcoming novels.
Re: Raymond Carver, has anyone read the short story "So Much Water Close to Home".

I was wondering how it compared to the film version, "Jindabyne" ?

Jindabyne (2006) - IMDb

Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,115 times
Bizzity bump.

The Most Dangerous Game and The Skeleton Key come to mind. Flowers for Algernon too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books