Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 09:42 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,847,785 times

Advertisements

I've only read a couple of those mentioned, but I'm going to see if my library has "A Star Is Found". That sounds like the kind of read that I'd be into.

If you want to read some interesting books on the "industry" I'd suggest; "Three Blind Mice", how the big three networks lost their way. By Ken Auletta, who is a great author. Also check out "Desperate Networks" (I'm 99% sure that's the title) about how randomness, luck and and NOT HAVING A CLUE ABOUT WHAT THEY'RE PICKING AND REFUSING causes networks to put on the air what they are.

One of the stories from the latter is about how right after "Desperate Housewives" debuted, with killer numbers, on ABC one of the other network's head guys called the producer of the show. He asked him, "how come you didn't give us a chance at that show?". His answer was that he had-TWICE, and they had turned it down!!!

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 01:19 PM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
The one that disgusted me the most was one about Calvin Klein, "Obsession: The Life and Times of Calvin Klein."

Old 01-01-2010, 07:13 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,932,738 times
I loved the Richard Burton biography. It had a lot of his actual diary reprinted to read.

The Robert Wagner book was horrible. Wish I'd never read that book. I'd probably still like the guy if I hadn't.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:02 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,683 times
Dig Infinity!: The Life and Art of Lord Buckley
Comes with a cool CD of some of his monologues.
" Lord Buckley broke into show business with Red Skelton in the 1930s, but he is probably best known for the hip language routines he developed for his nightclub acts in the 1950s, the subjects of which ranged from Jesus Christ ("The Nazz") to the Marquis de Sade ("King of the Badcats"). Trager, the host of an annual radio show on Buckley and of a semiannual group performance of his material called "Dig and Thou Shall Be Dug," has produced a composite biography of the controversial hipster and stand-up comic, who influenced comedians as diverse as Lenny Bruce and Robin Williams."
~ Library Journal

Also:
Jack's Book: An Oral Biography of Jack Kerouac
" Here, in what has become a classic of its kind since its publication in 1978, is the fascinating story of an American literary legend, recorded through the voices of the friends and lovers of Jack Kerouac, "King of the Beats." Authors Barry Gifford and Lawrence Lee retraced Keoruac's life at home and on the road, and talked with the prophets, musicians, poets, socialites, and working people who knew Jack Kerouac. Some are famous (Allen Ginsberg, Gore Vidal, William Burroughs, Gary Snyder, among others), some are not (Jack's boyhood buddies, his lovers, his barroom companions). All have contributed to a remarkably vibrant, riveting portrait of a life. We see Jack at Columbia University and on the scene of Greenwich Village; speeding across the tarmac of America with Neal Cassidy ("Dan Moriarty" in Keorac's classic novel, On the Road); at home with his possessive mother; in California, drinking wine and talking Buddhism; and finally, in Florida, where his life ends tragically at age forty-seven. Jack's Book, like Kerouac's novels, makes a unique contribution to our understanding of a man and a generation that shaped the dreams and visions of those who followed."
Powell's Books - Jack's Book: An Oral Biography of Jack Kerouac by Barry Gifford

Old 01-07-2010, 07:58 AM

497 posts, read 1,176,104 times
I was sorry I read "Clapton." I finished that book and realized there is absolutely nothing likable about that man.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:43 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Gypsy and Me by Erik Lee Preminger. A biography of Gypsy Rose Lee.

Erik is the son of Gypsy Rose Lee and Otto Preminger.
I reviewed the book for the local newspaper when it first came out. It is truly an interesting read.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:04 AM

522 posts, read 715,343 times
hollywood babylon 1 and 2. My favorite book is called The Westmores of Hollywood. About a family of makeup artists to the stars of 1940s and 50s. Interesting tidbits.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:09 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Wonderful Tonight: George Harrison, Eric Clapton, and Me by Pattie Boyd

I was surprised at just how good this book is.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:04 AM

559 posts, read 650,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The one that disgusted me the most was one about Calvin Klein, "Obsession: The Life and Times of Calvin Klein."
What was so disgusting about it?

I haven't read it, I'm just curious...

Old 01-13-2010, 05:32 PM

596 posts, read 889,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I enjoyed this one about Katherine Hepburn. It was an unflinching yet warm look at the actress, and offered insight into her character as well as the golden days of Hollywood.

Kate Remembered

I read this bio of Jim Morrison years ago (there are other Morrison bios out there, this one was the first). Written by an admitted fan, it is a look at a charismatic rock hero with real talent, but less than admirable personal life.

No One Here Gets Out Alive
A little off-topic, but the Dick Cavett interview with Hepburn was absolutely the best television! You can find it on YouTube. She is the most fascinating celebrity ever. Makes the bimbos that are considered "stars" nowadays seem like morons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books