U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:49 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,747,354 times

Advertisements

Wow, great suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 10:50 PM

51,252 posts, read 50,539,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Books ...bioregional or otherwise...about specific places.
Any recommendations?
Maybe a historical romance or travelogue or adventure / exploration biography.
Whatever you want...

Looking for books that sum up how you feel about 'your region' or really about any place in particular that you feel knowledgeable enough about to rate the book in question.

What better way to learn about a place before moving (or after) than to read a book that tells about the culture and the various 'issues' and/or contrasting personalities of that place....whether it's an 'eco-region', city, state or place.

Thanks in advance!
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. No, it's not my region, but it made me want to visit Savannah. The city and some of its residents itself is as much the focus of the book as the murder trial defendant that the author was covering. I work (in NYC) with a woman from Savannah, and she knows a couple of people in the book. Good read.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:53 PM

220 posts, read 218,739 times
I don't have any suggestions for books, but are looking for some suggestions myself. Are there any suggestions for books about Afghanistan, apart from The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, which I already have? Thanks!

Old 03-26-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
I don't have any suggestions for books, but are looking for some suggestions myself. Are there any suggestions for books about Afghanistan, apart from The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, which I already have? Thanks!
Kabul Beauty School by Debbie Rodriguez (non-fiction)

There's also Three Cups of Tea, also non-fiction and the author's second book, the name of which escapes me right now but it's on the tables at Borders. I haven't read those yet, though.

And for fiction, you have Lie Down with Lions by Ken Follett.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:13 PM

Oh--thought of another one. Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. It's about the creation of the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago juxtaposed with the details of H. H. Holmes, the serial killer who was operating in the city at the same time. Has a lot of interesting history of Chicago as well as the history contained in the story itself.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:19 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,841,258 times
Two by the same author, Fred First. His blog was very influential in my decision to retire here. Eventually some of the blog stories became the first book.

Slow Road Home - a Blue Ridge book of days

What We Hold in Our Hands - a slow road reader

About Fred First

Last edited by zugor; 03-26-2010 at 11:35 PM..

Old 03-26-2010, 11:33 PM

3,318 posts, read 7,257,563 times
Fugitives & Refugees: A Walk Through Portland, Oregon by Chuck Pahlaniuk. Made me want to move there, so I did.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:44 PM

2,002 posts, read 3,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Books ...bioregional or otherwise...about specific places.
Any recommendations?
Maybe a historical romance or travelogue or adventure / exploration biography.
Whatever you want...

Looking for books that sum up how you feel about 'your region' or really about any place in particular that you feel knowledgeable enough about to rate the book in question.

What better way to learn about a place before moving (or after) than to read a book that tells about the culture and the various 'issues' and/or contrasting personalities of that place....whether it's an 'eco-region', city, state or place.

Thanks in advance!
Dana Stabenow has several murder mistery series (Kate Shugak, etc) located in Alaska. She takes her time talking about the state and the problems people face there, for example oil companies vs. natives, etc.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:54 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,994,469 times
Someone mentioned the Laarsen book (Devil In A White City?) about Chicago. It was a great history lesson plus being entertaining.
Another story about a great city was written by Mark Helprin many years ago. It is set in New York City in the late 1800's. If I remember correctly it was titled A WINTER TALE but I am not sure. I loved the story with the exception of the ending. It seemed like the author decided he had to wrap up the story before a deadline. New York City has always fascinated me and NYC during the 1890's must have really been a special place.

GL2

Old 03-27-2010, 04:03 PM

3,836 posts, read 6,609,950 times
London: The Novel by Edward Rutherford is a great book, one of the best I've ever read. It takes the city of London through the ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or