Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:07 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
I was actually looking for a website I'd used years ago in which I'd discovered the Fidelma series. It said 7th century Ireland and a light went on in my head. The site was through SUNY but can't find it. This one looks good though.

Haven't read the books you mentioned. Century and country?
"The Girl with a Pearl earring" is set in Holland at the time of the
artist Vermeer
Girl With a Pearl Earring -- the story

"Lady and the Unicorn" is set in In Paris and Brussels in 15th century, the period of tapestry making
Tracy Chevalier - The Lady and the Unicorn - The story

"Burning Bright" is set in 18th century London
Burning Bright - the Story

What I liked in each of these books was the deatailed description of life during that particular period of time and also the details of some of the trades such as painting or tapesty making. Fascinating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 06:11 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,675,499 times
more fiction than fact but

http://www.city-data.com/forum/books...-fire-ice.html

Old 04-14-2010, 08:09 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
I like to read historical fiction. Unfortunately non fiction is a little too dry for me that's why I'd like to know if you can recommend books about medieval England / Scotland / Ireland / Russia / France?

I've also enjoyed reading about the times of Queen Elizabeth, King Henry or even St. Petersburg in times of Lenin and Stalin so any books about these periods would be great also.

Thanks a lot!
Sharon Kay Penman is my favorite medieval history author. She writes primarily about England and Wales.

Suggest you start off with Here Be Dragons, even though there are now other books about the Plantagenets that precede that one chronologically (although they were written after HBD.) It won't mess you up to have to go back in time later, trust me.

A stand-alone book of hers that's excellent is about the Wars of the Roses. It's called The Sunne in Splendour.

Just check to make sure you are reading her historical fiction if you are looking at the library or bookstore--she's written a few period mysteries, four of them, I think, but they are not of the same caliber as the carefully-researched historical fiction.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:26 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
skel1977 - I read A Song of Fire and Ice three years ago. Very good. Enjoyed them tremendously and will read them again before I plunge myself into the next volume.

Mightyqueen - Thank you very much. I found the Plantegenets mentioned in Philippa Gregory's The Constant Princess. I will check them out and probably put them on my wishlist. What a coincidence that I got an amazon voucher for my birthday lol

Old 04-15-2010, 09:37 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,847,785 times
My recommendation would be the "Flashman" series by George McDonald Fraser. Flashman was simultaneously "the most decorated soldier and the biggest coward in the British Army" in the 19th century. He is kind of the "Forest Gump" of Victoria's Army, serving everywhere, doing everything and meeting everyone.

Because Fraser did such thorough research the books read almost as non-fiction, complete with footnotes. In "Flashman At The Charge" (charge of the Light Brigade in The Crimea) he relates an incident that took place hours before the charge. In the footnote it says something to the effect that "General ?'s official report said "A", but the Times Of London's reporter was there and he said "B", but "Flashman's account seems to validate that "B" is really what happened.

I first read an excerpt from "Flashman At The Charge" in about '74 or '75, in "Playboy", see it's really for the articles! And I was immediately hooked. I've read most of the books 4 or 5 times. Heck in the UK there are big Flashman fan clubs.

I learned more about 19th century European history from Fraser than ever in any classroom

Old 04-16-2010, 12:36 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,468,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
My recommendation would be the "Flashman" series by George McDonald Fraser. Flashman was simultaneously "the most decorated soldier and the biggest coward in the British Army" in the 19th century. He is kind of the "Forest Gump" of Victoria's Army, serving everywhere, doing everything and meeting everyone.

Because Fraser did such thorough research the books read almost as non-fiction, complete with footnotes. In "Flashman At The Charge" (charge of the Light Brigade in The Crimea) he relates an incident that took place hours before the charge. In the footnote it says something to the effect that "General ?'s official report said "A", but the Times Of London's reporter was there and he said "B", but "Flashman's account seems to validate that "B" is really what happened.

I first read an excerpt from "Flashman At The Charge" in about '74 or '75, in "Playboy", see it's really for the articles! And I was immediately hooked. I've read most of the books 4 or 5 times. Heck in the UK there are big Flashman fan clubs.

I learned more about 19th century European history from Fraser than ever in any classroom
I love the Flashman books. Not only are they crammed with great historical detail, but also utterly hilarious.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:44 PM

338 posts, read 319,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
I like to read historical fiction. Unfortunately non fiction is a little too dry for me that's why I'd like to know if you can recommend books about medieval England / Scotland / Ireland / Russia / France?

I've also enjoyed reading about the times of Queen Elizabeth, King Henry or even St. Petersburg in times of Lenin and Stalin so any books about these periods would be great also.

Thanks a lot!
not your time period but Mary; Mrs A Lincoln by Janis Cooke Newman

Old 04-16-2010, 04:47 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Here are two excellent books:

Pope Joan
Year of Wonders

Old 04-18-2010, 10:35 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
I enjoyed many of the books already listed, but I'd like to add a couple:
Revenge of the Rose by Nicole Galland and The Borgia Bride and I, Mona Lisa by Jeanne Kalogridis.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:16 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Definitely, one of my all time favorite series ever. Can't wait for the TV show!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books