Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:52 AM

550 posts, read 2,825,679 times

Advertisements

I must say this man blows my mind. I have never read such creepy or unusual stories in my life! I am trying to get all of his books in hard cover (over half way there!) and have most of his movies.

I was amazed in his story "Geralds Game" where the main character was describing how she was feeling physically during that time of the month. He hit it dead on! He described the feelings in ways that made me agree whole heartedly while I was reading. How was he able to write in such detail something that he has never experienced??? Amazing.

I am an artist and find I take a lot of his life story as inspiration when I get frustrated. He struggled so much to get where he is but he never gave up. He believed in himself. Tabitha was a great help as well!

What is your favorite Stephen King Story? For me? There are too many to list! Has anyone here met him or have an autograph from him??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 01:39 AM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
I'm a HUGE King fan, and have been since my early teens... unfortunately I haven't read all of his books, simply because I don't usually have the time. But I have gotten through a good number of them, and most recently finished Cell. My favorites are probably Green Mile or Desperation - the first because it was so touching, and the latter because it scared me so badly I couldn't sleep! One that I know WOULD be my favorite, if I ever had the guts to tackle it, is The Stand... I loved the miniseries, and have always "planned" to read the book - but 1100 pages?? Sheesh!!

Old 06-10-2007, 03:11 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,994 times
I've got his book Thinner laying around here somewhere. I haven't had the chance to read it yet.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:39 AM

550 posts, read 2,825,679 times
gizmo980 - I took the plunge one year and was able to make it through The Stand. I found it surprisingly easy to read. I read it after I had seen the movie so it helped a lot to know who the characters were ahead of time.

I also love finding him in all his movies. I can't find him in Desperation though. That would be odd not to show up in one of his movies. Oh yes, I don't think he was in Shawshank Redemption either.

Hawkeye48 - That is one I don't have! You should read it, it's a good one!

I remember sitting on my bed when I was a young teen reading Pet Sematary. It scared me so much! My dad would come in after I fell asleep to ask me why I didn't turn my light off. I told him I couldn't step on the floor after reading my book because something was going to grab my ankle!! He said "that's what you get for reading those silly books!". Maybe that is where my love for horror shows derived from!

Old 06-10-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I've got his book Thinner laying around here somewhere. I haven't had the chance to read it yet.
I really liked that book, and the movie too... but they have completely different endings, as is often the case with Stephen King (like "The Shining", for example). Anyway, "Thinner" is a quick read, so you should definitely give it a go!

Old 06-10-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
gizmo980 - I took the plunge one year and was able to make it through The Stand. I found it surprisingly easy to read. I read it after I had seen the movie so it helped a lot to know who the characters were ahead of time.

I also love finding him in all his movies. I can't find him in Desperation though. That would be odd not to show up in one of his movies. Oh yes, I don't think he was in Shawshank Redemption either.
Yeah, I should "take the plunge" on The Stand already... I know I'll read it quickly once I get into it! And you're right, I don't think he was in Desperation or Shawshank (one of my absolute favorite movies, btw). I love when he does a cameo, since he's such a horrible actor - like when Quentin Tarantino makes an appearance in his films.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:04 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
You might enjoy King's book on writing. I consider it among the best.

Amazon.com: On Writing: Books: Stephen King

It might also help understand how he creates his stories.

I am a fan, but not so much of a fan that I can say I've read all his books. I think some of his short stories are among my personal favourites. ... One I recall but don't remember the title is about a man who survived ... by himself through himself.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:12 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
I haven't read every book the man has ever written, but I've read quite a few. He's written some great stories. 'Salem's Lot is the best vampire story ever written. As an homage to Dracula, it actually surpasses the original. Great book.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:59 AM

304 posts, read 1,430,740 times
My 7th grade reading teacher introduced me to Stephen King (thanks, Mr. Williams!). The first book I read by SK was Carrie, and then I went on to Salem's Lot. I was pretty good about keeping up with all of his books until I had my kids, and reading for pleasure was set aside for a while. Now that my kids are older, I have a bit more time to read and I have been trying to catch up. I just finished reading the last few books in his Dark Tower series. That is a great series of books. A lot of the other stories he has written are tied into the Dark Tower story, so that is pretty cool. Other than the Dark Tower, I think my favorite story is The Stand. I enjoyed reading "It", too.

I don't usually like to watch the movies which are based on his books, with exception to The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption, and Stand By Me.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:28 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
I think my all time fave would be The Dead Zone, just because I think that this is the "superpower" I would wish to have most of all - I loved how he wrote that people would mail a personal article to him and he would see "what happened" to them.

I loved The Stand too, and yep it's up there in size but I read it and loved it, as well as The Talisman, and I even read the book It twice (I was living abroad at the time and English language books were expensive and hard to come by, so I re-read the book a year later).

I didn't even know they made a movie from The Stand - I try to avoid Stephen King books made into movies, just because they useally fall way short of the book version. I agree with chiefs fan; The Green Mile, Shawshank, and Stand By Me are tolerable movies. I couldn't even watch Christine, and I didn't particularly care for either version of The Shining. For those who saw The Stand - was it any good?

From his short stories, there was one where the main character is cooped up in a supermarket with some other folks because of a breach at some sort of biological testing place close by - I wished that would have been made into a full novel (loved the premise, and was disappointed at the brevity of the story). He also had a short story about a kid who takes a gun to school and holds his class hostage - I remember reading somewhere that because of Columbine and other similar school shootings, this story is no longer included in the original compilation (was this in his Bachman phase that he wrote this story? I don't recall).

I have been reading Stephen King since I was about 12 years old - so yes, I would consider myself a follower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books