Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 03:32 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,153,689 times

Advertisements

Some posts on this thread are interesting. I'm surprised that a few CD posters have even heard, or read, books like 1984 and Les Miserables, and heard of authors such as Camus, Hugo, and Thoreau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 04:11 PM

708 posts, read 1,289,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
What do you do between lives? I don't want to go through life again. This one wore me out!
I have been past life regressed by the assistant to Brian Weiss, and I can honestly say it changed my life, as I could see how I lived in past lives, which helped me figure out things to work on in this life.

What do you do between lives? Rest, be bathed in love, meet with your spirit guides and figure out your next incarnation so as to learn the lessons you need to learn.

Last edited by seethelight; 08-22-2011 at 04:23 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 05:16 PM

5,585 posts, read 981,314 times
This book "A CHILD CALLED IT" by Dave Pelzer is the first book I have ever read that made me just sick, I had to put the book down & take a break. The man is an adult now, but his sad child hood was devastating for him, he had no life, so to speak, he was his mother's robot. terribly sad.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:36 PM

18,938 posts, read 11,549,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
Have you ever read a book that blew your mind? It doesn't have to be the best book you've ever read, or your most favorite, just a book that really made you say "wow" or maybe made you look at things in a new way.

For example, I've read two in the last six months that really blew me away: Brave New World and All Quiet on the Western Front. They got me for different reasons, Brave New World because I felt that Huxley was on to something, and All Quiet on the Western Front because it really made the emotions of the fight come to me. Wow. And thanks!
Another anti-war novel that's a wonderful companion piece to All Quiet on the Western Front is Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo. It was a wow for me - haunting, intense, thought provoking.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:32 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,343,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Some posts on this thread are interesting. I'm surprised that a few CD posters have even heard, or read, books like 1984 and Les Miserables, and heard of authors such as Camus, Hugo, and Thoreau.
I thought about recommending 1984 but decided to go a different direction in my recommendation but yeah, I would think most people would have their mind blown as I did, when I read the scene of how poor Winston was finally broken.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:37 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,358,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I have been past life regressed by the assistant to Brian Weiss, and I can honestly say it changed my life, as I could see how I lived in past lives, which helped me figure out things to work on in this life.

What do you do between lives? Rest, be bathed in love, meet with your spirit guides and figure out your next incarnation so as to learn the lessons you need to learn.
SO, do you have to be reicarnated, even if you don't want to? Can't you say "No, I'm tired. I need to rest and read a good book."

Old 08-23-2011, 02:38 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,909,595 times
Quote:
SO, do you have to be reicarnated, even if you don't want to? Can't you say "No, I'm tired. I need to rest and read a good book."
Yes. you CAN choose not to. Nothing is forced on anyone as free will is the prevaling "law" (for want of a better word).

Again..I can't think of a single reason why I would EVER want to come back to earth. NONE.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:14 PM

708 posts, read 1,289,311 times
Quote:
Well, there is good news and bad news. The good news is that you can believe anything you want to. The bad news is that you can believe anything you want to.

In my opinion you have to come back time after time until all of your business with people is finished and it doesn't hurt to do some good for other people.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:08 PM

5,886 posts, read 10,496,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I read all those. And i must say i adored "the stranger" by Camus and Thoreaus "Walden" was AMAZING.

I already talked about 1984. Great book. Specially if you are in your late teens (great time of life to read a head-changing book like that, you are not as innocent as when you are younger and not as cinic as when you get older)

Old 10-09-2011, 04:11 PM

5,886 posts, read 10,496,052 times
Im also surprised not many Americans seem to read Emerson and Thoreaus. I read them in "Northamerican literature" in College (i studied literature) and they are the founders of the american way of thinking. First philosophers, writers, etcétera, their thoughts are key to understand the american way of life and how americans view themselves. I would think they give those 2 as an obligatory read in high-school .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books