Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 07:00 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
Have you ever read a book that blew your mind? It doesn't have to be the best book you've ever read, or your most favorite, just a book that really made you say "wow" or maybe made you look at things in a new way.

For example, I've read two in the last six months that really blew me away: Brave New World and All Quiet on the Western Front. They got me for different reasons, Brave New World because I felt that Huxley was on to something, and All Quiet on the Western Front because it really made the emotions of the fight come to me. Wow. And thanks!

I love The Giver by Lois Lowry
also Under Gypsy skies by Kathryin Kramer. I read that book when I was 17 and said if I have daughter #2 she is going to be name Alicia after the character in the book. I already had a name picked out for daughter #1. I had her name picked out from reading John Saul book Comes the Blind Fury after the character Amanda
And now I do have an Amanda and an Alicia...

I love to read so thanks everyone for the good ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 07:16 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,023,965 times
You're Teaching My Child What? by Mariam Grossman, M.D.

Unbelievable information of what Sex Education really consists of in the public school nowdays; written by a doctor, who tells of the medical as well as psychological risks to our kids. Pretty scary stuff. DH and I read it next to the computer, checking the facts presented and were able to verify almost everything in the book. If you have school age kids, you might want to check it out.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:44 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
When I was a young teen I picked up a book at a neighbors garage sale that blew me away and started me on reading all sort of things I never thought I would like, it was Watership Down.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:35 PM

622 posts, read 1,664,593 times
I'm just about done with Loving Frank.. a novel about Frank Lloyd Wright and his long time mistress (soulmate, lover, should have been wife) Mamah Borthwick... It's an amazing book and I don't want it to end..

Amazon.com: Loving Frank: A Novel (9780345495006): Nancy Horan: Books

Old 05-24-2010, 05:33 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
I'm just about done with Loving Frank.. a novel about Frank Lloyd Wright and his long time mistress (soulmate, lover, should have been wife) Mamah Borthwick... It's an amazing book and I don't want it to end..

Amazon.com: Loving Frank: A Novel (9780345495006): Nancy Horan: Books
Oh my maybe something is wrong with me but I hated this book . did not find any redeeming qualities about it at all sorry .

Old 05-25-2010, 10:59 AM

622 posts, read 1,664,593 times
Meh.. I dont condone what they did, but its a great book.. very well written.. not to mention, I love Frank Lloyd Wright and have for a very long time. It's neat to have a personal story to go along with someone whose work I've admired for as long as I can remember..

Old 05-27-2010, 03:04 AM

1,908 posts, read 2,537,062 times
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich was the first book that made me say WOW! I read it over 30 years ago in high school and I still remember it vividly. The title has always stuck with me.
Another book is The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy. This book moved me in such a way that it sparked a string of some extraordinary poetry over the next decade. I'm still writing poetry, but not as much as back then.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:27 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,444,632 times
What Dreams May Come affected me that way. Interesting handling of less-than-savory topics like suicide, the concept of purgatory, and the afterlife.

I also found myself thinking a lot about some of the arguments presented in The Shack, but I seem to be alone in that regard -- many take issue with the depiction of God as a Black woman, and Jesus and the Holy Spirit, but I can honestly say that while the book is not a whole lot to get excited about, I enjoyed the perspectives on religion presented.

Other works that have made me think are some of the classics, and a lot of the works that were contemporary when I was in HS and college in the 1970s -- Catch 22 comes to mind, as does Erica Jong's Fear of Flying.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:12 PM

289 posts, read 569,597 times
Out of the Dark by Sharon Sala. It didn't exactly blow my mind but everytime I read it I can't put it down and I've read it like 4 times.

A Child Called It & The Lost Boy by David Peltzer. We heard him speak at the youth conference at MTSU 1 year & then bought his books. I LOVE this guy. Honestly. He blew us away. Even my mom. And there wasn't a dry eye in the house when he got done telling his story. If I had to recommend only 1 author for someone to read it would be him.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Just lately, I thought of this thread when I closed a book. David Lodge's "Deaf Sentence" has the most beautiful ending of any book I've ever read. (Don't cheat and jump ahead and peek---it won't have any impact unless you've followed the subtle turns of the story.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books