Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 04:33 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
one thousand women by Jim fergus that was an awesome book that I did not think i would ever get my hands on again .
This is one of the best books i have ever read! I cannot imagine why it is not as well known as it deserves to be. . . .thanks for mentioning it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 04:35 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,076 times
very little known book, but an astounding true story. . .ISHI, last of his tribe (can't remember the authors name, but a VERY worthy read.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:44 PM

220 posts, read 282,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerafaith View Post

A Child Called It & The Lost Boy by David Peltzer. We heard him speak at the youth conference at MTSU 1 year & then bought his books. I LOVE this guy. Honestly. He blew us away. Even my mom. And there wasn't a dry eye in the house when he got done telling his story. If I had to recommend only 1 author for someone to read it would be him.
I'm going to have to look into these books by Peltzer. They sound really interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khitty_kat View Post
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. I can't describe in words how it blew my mind away but it did a very good job doing just that.
You all said so many good things about this book that I've been wanting to get a copy of it. I went to a local used book fair this past weekend and found it for $1.50! So excited! I'm not sure when I'll get to it, but I'm so glad to have it within easy reach.

Thanks again for all these great suggestions! SO many more books to put on my to-read list.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
science and health by mary baker eddy

Old 11-17-2010, 04:20 PM

32 posts, read 44,364 times
IT and Pet Semetary by Stephen King
194 by George Orwell
and the Miserables by Victor Hugo

Old 07-28-2011, 11:18 PM

Yes, I am starting my own thread up again. Just wondering if there are any other books I should put on my "to-read" list; books that have blown your mind. I love hearing your responses! Be assured these books are on my amazon wish list now!

Old 07-28-2011, 11:33 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,278 times
The Flowers of Evil
The Poetry of Wilfred Owen
Crime and Punishment
Seize the Day

Check them out!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:53 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
A Child Called It was so sad that it literally made me sick. I was throwing up in the bathroom after one certain part. It's so hard to believe it's based on the author's childhood. This book definitely blew me away, in a very sad way.
According to a 2002 NYT article Dysfunction for Dollars - NYTimes.com "his m.o. is to tell a story, gauge the response to it and then embellish until that story reaches the limits of believability.""

His younger brother, "Stephen says David wasn't ostracized from the family, but that ''he was very close to me and Robert,'' the oldest brother. ''We were 'The Three Musketeers.' But David had to be the center of attention. He was a hyper, spoiled brat.''

Pelzer's grandmother, Ruth Cole, 92, remembers him as a ''disruptive kid, only interested in himself, with big ideas of grandeur.'' She says he bragged that celebrities, like Chuck Yeager, would be at his and Patsy's wedding. ''But it was just a few family members in the garage,'' she says. ''His books should be in the fiction section.''

The brother stated that rather than being removed from the home for abuse, he was placed in foster care because ''he started a fire and was caught shoplifting. He was out of control. "

I read his first book and found it didn't have the ring of truth to it. Was not surprised to read this article.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:57 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,178 times
My favorite all time books are Don Quixote and Confederacy of Dunces.

Was assigned Don Quixote as a college freshman. Divided the pages by the number of days and dutifully set out my first Friday to read my allotted number of pages. Got caught up in the story and spent the rest of the week with Don Quixote and Dulcinea. Loved the story. Could not believe no one had ever told me about it.

Confederacy of Dunces is a hoot. Such imagery and humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books