Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:46 PM

92 posts, read 119,141 times

Advertisements

I am a avid reader my family calls me the book worm....I prefer non-fiction but have read my fair share of fiction some of my favorite authors are charles bukowski, Chuck Palahniuk, Jane Green, Charlaine Harris, Hubert Selby,William Burroughs...this is just a few.....i love books that have a gritty dirty feel to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 06:28 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,286 times
I'm an avid reader meaning I never am without a book whether I am home, in the car or getting ready for bed! I prefer historical novels, especially suspenseful romance. I also like spy mysteries, fantasy and occasionally a biography. My favorite author is Victoria Holt.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:08 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,936 times
Growing up, my Dad was a voracious reader, and the habit definitely rubbed off on me. My Dad even went so far as to make us book stands out of wire coat hangers to hold our books while we were at the dinner table. Not much conversing at mealtime with us.

According to Richard D. Starr, I would definitely be classed an avid reader as I read everything. I feel that to know a fair amount about many subjects helps to round out ones knowledge base, and makes one more confident in any circle of life.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:15 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times
ABSOLUTELY! Have been an avid reader since childhood.[great thread!]

Back then I was animal crazy and read mostly animal stories[which like animal movies, seem to mostly be tear-jerkers!]

Since adulthood,I became interested in most every genre,from non-fiction to fiction,also love bios/memoirs if the person or their story interests me.

I will not read anything that has to do with harm of a child/children,stalkers,serial killers,kidnapping,true crime books,explicit sex,excessive profanity, or graphic gore,[except have read and loved several by Dan Brown].

Nor will I watch films or read books that are known tear-jerkers/downers such as those by Nicholas Sparks and Karen Kingsbury[no wonder so many people are on anti-depressants,which I am not,lol! Except for some non-fiction about a subject that I am wanting to know more about such as the plight of females born into the horrible barbaric radical Islam!

I am a research fanatic! Wanting to know how,why,when,of everything,and often will check out multiple books at a time on the same subject,and read in spurts like that until I'm sick of the same type, and will switch to another subject,lol!

Favorite authors~ Dan Brown,Richard Preston,Robin Cook,Michael Crichton,Robert Liparulo[for his Dreamhouse Kings series],Robert Whitlow,Diane Farr,Carla Kelly,Mary Higgins Clark,and several authors of my favorite Amish-themed fiction~Beth Wiseman,Mary Ellis,Shelley Shepard Gray,Amy
Clipston,Marta Perry,and Dale Cramer.

Also really love books with a touch of humor,such as I prefer Romantic Comedy,over straight romance.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 09-19-2014 at 08:38 AM..

Old 09-19-2014, 07:13 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
I read constantly.

My mix is about 60% non-fiction, 40% fiction.

The non-fiction tends to be the hard sciences, history, biographies, social/cultural works, and outdoors writing.

The fiction tends to be mainstream fiction - mostly modern, some classics. Not a lot of hard genres, such as science fiction, historical fiction, westerns, thrillers, etc.

My current mix is typical (I'm usually knee-deep in multiple books at once):

On The Rez by Ian Frazier
This is a look at contemporary Indian life, particularly on South Dakota's Pine Ridge Reservation, and largely centered around his friend with one Oglala Sioux.

1491 by Charless Mann
This book challenged conventional understanding of Indians by examining the evidence that their ancestors crossed into North America early than previously believed, that they impacted and shaped their environments to a greater degree than previously believed, and that they existed in far greater numbers when Columbus arrived than previously believed.

Both the above books were long on my mental 'to read' list - I must've read or heard reviews of them, or maybe interviews with the authors. So when I found myself browsing the books at the Badlands National Park visitor center last month, I spotted them and... well, out came the credit card!

On the current fiction front, there's Cormac McCarthy's All The Pretty Little Horses, the first volume of the Border Trilogy, and The Great Gatsby - a re-read, partly for pleasure and partly related to a writing project of mine.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:02 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times
Originally Posted by Unsettomati
Quote:
On The Rez by Ian Frazier.This is a look at contemporary Indian life, particularly on South Dakota's Pine Ridge Reservation, and largely centered around his friend with one Oglala Sioux.
I loved 'On The Rez'! I thought this story about SuAnne Big Crow[who is the book] was so cool.

SuAnne

here is a demonstration of The Fancy Shawl Dance so you can picture what SuAnne did when taunted on the court at the girls basketball game.

Fancy Shawl Dance | American Indian/Native American | Pinterest

Old 09-21-2014, 01:30 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
I am an avid reader and my tastes vary. I like reading the indie authors. Reasonably priced and often great reads. I'm about half way theough The Hard Way by James Boedeker. Love his work. I also like Christopher G Moore. Too many to name actually, but I average at least 3 books a week.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:48 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
I'd say I'm an avid reader, always have a book on the go. 99% of what I read is fiction, of pretty much any genre. I just go to the library and take any book that looks interesting (the library will have some books on display rather than placed normally on the shelves so I tend to take those books and they change which books they have displayed regularly so I usually get about twenty books each time I go to the library)
I do particularly enjoy crime and murder mystery books and historical novels, my favourite author is probably Agatha Christie. I also like to read any Finnish books that I can find translated into English.

Currently reading The Quality of Mercy by Barry Unsworth, set in England and concerning the slave trade and the abolitionist movement and also the harshness of work for miners, including very small children working in the mines.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:31 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
I'm not as avid as I used to be. Even had a book rating log (template provided by one of my school's). I had off/on recorded my favorite points and least favorite points from various books. It was a great way to keep up or remember which books I have read over the years. I still remember some but not as many details or sometimes get a tendency to mix up some of them, kinda like I do with tv and movies.

Generally, I like autobiographies the most. Stories that are true but not specifically centered on one person. Historical in nature but not really pounding you with dates and stuff like a history book that you would have to read in school. Some romance novels aren't so bad with some historical signficance.

Favorite authors include: Ken Follett, Maeve Binchy, Stephen King, ....
Favorite books: "On Wings Of Eagles", "The Key To Rebecca", "Eye Of The Needle", "The 3rd Twin", ...; "Light A Penny Candle" and "Circle of Friends"; "The Shining", "It", ..
Other books I've read: "My name is Najood, I am 10 and divorced"; "Gifted Hands" - Ben Carson

Just recently added the 'iBooks' app to my mobile phone, iPod (old one) and iPad too. Only use the iPad (that belongs to both DH and me) on some Saturdays. Now I don't need to carry around the paper back or hardcover book which means lighter load. Only problem is synching my bookmarks. I may switch to using my ipod if the battery has run down on my phone but I've misplaced my bookmark. So the only drawback is skimming through the pages to see where I left off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books