Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 08:58 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,211,197 times

Advertisements

I've had that problem before, it's a fairly easy DIY job if you can use a clothes iron to warm up the glue and peel the tint off. A hair dryer may work too however it is harder to get the glue residue off with a hair dryer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 01:52 PM

905 posts, read 2,391,698 times
Can't you just find a "Lick N Stick" place? Just give the guy a 20 and be good to go.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:49 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,786,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
Can't you just find a "Lick N Stick" place? Just give the guy a 20 and be good to go.
$20? 10-15 years ago when I lived in MA it cost me $100 to get sticker for my car with illegal mods. I don't think $20 will get you far with guy that could get fined or lose the ability to do inspections if they get caught

Old 07-21-2016, 04:39 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,728,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
$20? 10-15 years ago when I lived in MA it cost me $100 to get sticker for my car with illegal mods. I don't think $20 will get you far with guy that could get fined or lose the ability to do inspections if they get caught
And don't inspection places have cameras now?

Old 07-25-2016, 09:10 AM

15,692 posts, read 20,203,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
And don't inspection places have cameras now?

If they do, most shops don't care. Find one busy with a line of cars waiting and you can usually get in/out pretty quick. For what the law requires to be charged, vs the amount of stuff that actually needs to be inspected, it's not a money maker for the shop unless they can get the car in/out in 10 mins or so. They are supposed to check e-brake holding strength, measure all brake pad thickness, etc. How many times have you gone in for a sticker and saw a tech pull the wheels off? In all my years of driving, I've never had it done. The shop I go to has me out in 5 mins or so.

Unless the car has some serious safety issues or some highly illegal mods (tinted windshield, straight pipes, blacked out taillights, etc) , you can usually get buy with "minor illegal" things.

I'm not saying it's right...

Old 07-25-2016, 09:42 AM

9,784 posts, read 7,046,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
If they do, most shops don't care. Find one busy with a line of cars waiting and you can usually get in/out pretty quick. For what the law requires to be charged, vs the amount of stuff that actually needs to be inspected, it's not a money maker for the shop unless they can get the car in/out in 10 mins or so. They are supposed to check e-brake holding strength, measure all brake pad thickness, etc. How many times have you gone in for a sticker and saw a tech pull the wheels off? In all my years of driving, I've never had it done. The shop I go to has me out in 5 mins or so.

Unless the car has some serious safety issues or some highly illegal mods (tinted windshield, straight pipes, blacked out taillights, etc) , you can usually get buy with "minor illegal" things.

I'm not saying it's right...
Actually, they are not required to measure the thickness of the brake pads, only that the brakes are operational. If they find your brakes to be in poor operational condition, they may measure the pads and rotors but they cannot remove the wheels without your permission:

Massachusetts RMV - Inspections FAQs

See 13 and 27
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston