U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:43 AM

227 posts, read 521,832 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am coming to Boston soon (actually Somerville) and I am reading a lot how people say Boston is very provincial. I guess they mean they don't like to interact with transplants? Isn't most of the metro area transplants though?? You have so many colleges with people from around the world and most likely a good bit of them take jobs in Boston when they graduate, no? I understand there are more Mass-native type areas, but I am just figuring they'd be more out in the suburbs and not really in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville type areas. Can someone explain this?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 11:26 AM

13 posts, read 18,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaave View Post
Hi,

I am coming to Boston soon (actually Somerville) and I am reading a lot how people say Boston is very provincial. I guess they mean they don't like to interact with transplants? Isn't most of the metro area transplants though?? You have so many colleges with people from around the world and most likely a good bit of them take jobs in Boston when they graduate, no? I understand there are more Mass-native type areas, but I am just figuring they'd be more out in the suburbs and not really in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville type areas. Can someone explain this?

Thanks.
By provincial, people mean that New Englanders can be kind of insular and unaware or unconcerned with life outside the region. Some of the more "townie" types have this attitude of "I've always lived here, everything I need is here, why would I go to or care about any other place?" This tends to be more common among the older generation, and yes, you can find these people both in the suburbs and in the city.

I would argue that Boston is becoming less parochial every year as the old New England population dies out. Also, a lot of the old New England or Boston institutions are disappearing (Filene's, for example), which is kind of sad but in another sense also refreshing.

Still, do expect to occasionally find someone who hasn't been to NYC in over 20 years (even though it's a 4 hour drive) or who thinks Seattle sits on the Pacific Ocean. This person might then tell you about some place on route 1 that is absolutely amazing but upon description seems rather ordinary and dull to you. :P

Finally, there are still some people here who contend that Boston and New England is the beacon of the nation or even the hub of the universe. They've had a hard time accepting that this place had its heyday 200 years ago and it simply isn't the future of the country.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:42 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,784,516 times
And then there are people like me, who lived there for 7 years (less than 200 years ago), and are convinced that if you're going to intentionally endure New England weather, there's no better place to endure it than the Greater Boston area.

I'm -glad- it's old and outdated. Everyone wants to modernize, but all this modernization is nothing more than trends by people who can't except that sometimes, old = better. Remember avacado and sprout sandwiches? Remember avocado-colored kitchens? Yeah. And how about all those Starbucks - stolen shamelessly, and poorly imitating, the original Coffee Connection from which they descended.

New this, new that, modern this, streamlined that, on a going-forward basis, etc. etc. etc. And then, there's Boston. It isn't merely "old." It is timeless. And I'm grateful for that.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:00 PM

13,483 posts, read 8,047,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
And then there are people like me, who lived there for 7 years (less than 200 years ago), and are convinced that if you're going to intentionally endure New England weather, there's no better place to endure it than the Greater Boston area.

I'm -glad- it's old and outdated. Everyone wants to modernize, but all this modernization is nothing more than trends by people who can't except that sometimes, old = better. Remember avacado and sprout sandwiches? Remember avocado-colored kitchens? Yeah. And how about all those Starbucks - stolen shamelessly, and poorly imitating, the original Coffee Connection from which they descended.

New this, new that, modern this, streamlined that, on a going-forward basis, etc. etc. etc. And then, there's Boston. It isn't merely "old." It is timeless. And I'm grateful for that.

Why thank you, Anonchick! Nice to hear someone appreciate our "Old Bean Town".

Ugh, I had an avacado kitchen bak in the 70's!

When I went to Philly, I loved Betsy Ross's house! had to stoop to get under the doorway and I'm not tall by any means! Loved Independance Hall, the Liberty Bell and all the "old" stuff. Amazed and made me feel so good to be able to see and touch stuff from the begining of our country.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:42 PM

453 posts, read 148,580 times
It means the people back there are snobby as hell because they think they're more sophisticated than everyone else. It also means they're so damn uptight that if you were to shove lumps of coal up their asses, two weeks later, they'd produce millions of diamonds. Every time I went back there, I couldn't get away fast enough. While I was in the U.S. Coast Guard, I met a lot of people from that locale. Almost every one of them was a total . Of all the ones I liked, I could probably count them on one hand. I liked the city and all its cultural amenities, but the people there were horrible. Nonetheless, I'll never ever live anywhere on the East Coast again for as long as I live.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-18-2010 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: language

Old 07-18-2010, 06:10 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,784,516 times
I really have no idea at all why people have such a horrible perception of Boston. I'm a New Englander who can't stand living in New England. I'd rather be in the deserts of New Mexico. It's a weather thing. It's definitely not a people thing. When I was a college student, I hung out mostly with townies. I had -no- problem with snobby or pretentious people at all. I lived on Charles Street for crying out loud, and not one person treated me with disdain, or turned their noses up at me for trying to fit in somewhere I didn't belong. I never once felt like I was an outsider, and I never once felt I had to put on airs to feel like I fit in.

I even helped with the grand opening of the big mall in downtown (Fashion Square, was it called?) right after it was first built, and I wore a borrowed, used velvet gown from a friend while everyone else was having their gowns made by a fashion designer. I still didn't feel left out, or lower class, or like they were snobs. We lived within our means. They could afford a fashion designer. I could afford a borrowed gown. Tell ya what. I looked damned good in my borrowed gown. And they looked lovely in their designer gowns.

It didn't make any difference at all. Everyone was friendly, and interesting, and interested. My entire time living in the area was filled with adventure and learning experiences, and fun. Perhaps if you stop trying to hang out with snooty people, you won't notice them.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:03 AM

2,954 posts, read 7,869,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenstine View Post
It means the people back there are snobby as hell because they think they're more sophisticated than everyone else. It also means they're so damn uptight that if you were to shove lumps of coal up their asses, two weeks later, they'd produce millions of diamonds. Every time I went back there, I couldn't get away fast enough. While I was in the U.S. Coast Guard, I met a lot of people from that locale. Almost every one of them was a total . Of all the ones I liked, I could probably count them on one hand. I liked the city and all its cultural amenities, but the people there were horrible. Nonetheless, I'll never ever live anywhere on the East Coast again for as long as I live.
That's nice.

Why do people from all over the place feel the need to drop in on this forum and leave posts like this? I absolutely hate most of Texas but couldn't be bothered posting about it on a Texas forum.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 AM

416 posts, read 1,104,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

The housing boom completely changed this. Almost every condo I've been in or looked at (when I was condo hunting in the city at the time), had the stainless steel/granite/glass shower look. Most kept the original integrity of the exterior, but the interior was completely revamped.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:08 AM

13 posts, read 18,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGoesIt View Post
The housing boom completely changed this. Almost every condo I've been in or looked at (when I was condo hunting in the city at the time), had the stainless steel/granite/glass shower look. Most kept the original integrity of the exterior, but the interior was completely revamped.
What's odd is that I made no mention of the age of the local housing and the poster you quote seemed to think we were talking about property.

We're not. We're discussing the attitude of the native populace.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:54 PM

2,954 posts, read 7,869,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaphora View Post
What's odd is that I made no mention of the age of the local housing and the poster you quote seemed to think we were talking about property.

We're not. We're discussing the attitude of the native populace.
There is a connection. The attitude of the native populace is the reason why so many homes are not modernized every six months. In other areas people are much more focused on new.

By the way, some condos in the city may have modern interiors but a lot of apartments, condos and houses throughout the area don't. Sometimes they're gorgeous and timeless, sometimes they look worn. But a lot of New Englanders are used to worn, whereas people from other parts of the US would be (are) horrified by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston