U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 11:47 PM

612 posts, read 843,429 times

Advertisements

I am potentially looking at having to take the 19 bus from Kenmore Station down to the Grove Hall area for work. I saw an article online from a few years ago about a guy getting shot in the head on the 23 bus, which serves many of the same areas as the 19. So I guess the basic question is, is it safe to take the 19?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 12:28 PM

39 posts, read 150,944 times
I wouldn't worry too much about the bus. I've never been on the 19, but I've never had trouble on the bus. Mostly I find the bus is either filled with yuppies, high school students, or older lower-class folks. If you trust the area you're going to, I would trust the bus route. However, I believe Grove Hall area is Orange-Lineish (I might be wrong about that), and the orange line tends to have some iffy characters on it. Still, I wouldn't be worried. Especially since the incident you're talking about was probably premeditated.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:31 PM

612 posts, read 843,429 times
I guess that would be my main issue: I don't trust the area i'm going to at all. I'm new to the area, but from everything i've heard/read, the Grove Hall area is about as bad as it gets in terms of crime in the Boston area.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:47 PM

4,843 posts, read 12,514,921 times
The issue really isn't the safety of the bus ride itself, it's how far the stop would be from your work place and what times you'd be using it. I've traveled all over town (literally) on the MBTA and never run into trouble. Most of the crimes you hear about occur near rapid-transit stations or bus stops at night, when passengers departing onto deserted streets make for easy prey. A good many buses now have security cameras installed, as do all the subway stations. So there's been a reduction in what little bad stuff does happen on the T.
Once you become a familiar presence in the neighborhood, you should be left alone. Co-workers would recognize any security risk entailed in standing at a bus stop and would probably be willing to walk you there and perhaps even wait with you.
Grove Hall is now actually undergoing a fitful revival after decades of decay, with the worst areas now lying to the east (Four Corners and Bowdoin/Geneva in Dorchester.)

Old 07-23-2010, 08:08 PM

3,063 posts, read 4,342,120 times
I used to ride the 23 every day from Ashmont Station to get to both my high school in the Longwood Area and college (Northeastern University). I rode it at all times of the day. I have also ridden the 19 several times and have gotten off at Grove Hall several times. I have always felt safe riding those routes and many times I'm the only non-African American on the bus! As long as you keep to yourself, mind your own business, and don't get into any arguments or commotions, you will be fine. It's people that don't know how to shut up on the bus that get into trouble. I remember that incident you mentioned about the guy getting shot on the 23, it was a youngster who apparently had beef with someone at school or somewhere and was personally targeted. No one is that insane as to randomly shoot people on a public bus and even such a targeted shooting is a rare occurrence. I assume you will be traveling during rush hour, correct? You will probably be more bothered with crowded buses and heavy traffic on those routes during rush hour than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston