Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 11:13 AM

112 posts, read 296,735 times

Advertisements

I am new to the area as of a couple days ago, and about to rent a temporary place in Waltham before I start work in Winchester and get a permanent place elsewhere. I have a couple of days where I can focus on driving around and learning the area, and learning how to get back and forth between work and home.

But yesterday when I tried to drive some in Waltham and Winchester, I noticed there were no cross-street signs? Am I right or did I miss some signage that I don't know to look for because I'm a noobie? Or can anyone share some secrets to navigating that might help starting out?

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 11:30 AM

28 posts, read 155,160 times
Yeah, traffic-related signs in the Boston area are horrible. I moved up from Florida eight years ago, and I like Boston better in most respects, but not this category. Frequently signs are missing, not visible, misleading, confusing, etc. Which is too bad considering how confusing Boston area streets are. It's annoying how at cross streets, the intersecting street is usually signed, but the street you're actually on is not signed, making things difficult if you're lost and trying to determine what street you're on.

Anyways, if I'm going somewhere new, I always print out directions and study them. I also have a street atlas and study the general vicinity I will be driving through. We recently got a GPS. I still always study a map and directions if going somewhere new, but the GPS is great if we become lost.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:43 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,911 times
Often times, if you're on a small street coming to a larger street - you will not see a sign for the larger street.

Then again, the signage in New England is just poor to begin with.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:48 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
That's why most people here learn their way around via landmarks... not street names.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:21 AM

112 posts, read 296,735 times
Yeah, seriously, it's a pain. Oh well, not much I can do about it. I've been sitting here on Google Maps writing down directions and landmarks since yesterday and it's kind of worrying when I get lost because I had to ask a bunch of people the other day for directions before some nice woman had pity on me and drew me out a map. lol

I guess I'll learn like everyone else does. Thanks everyone.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:01 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalType View Post
I guess I'll learn like everyone else does. Thanks everyone.
That's kind of the idea. It's not a big conspiracy or anything, but people who've lived in the area their whole lives know where they're going and don't really need the signs. Why spend extra money on signs the town's residents feel they don't need. So it's on the newcomer to figure it out.

Essentially the major thing is just to drive around and get to know the place. It helps if you memorize the way the main roads go together.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:37 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
That's kind of the idea. It's not a big conspiracy or anything, but people who've lived in the area their whole lives know where they're going and don't really need the signs. Why spend extra money on signs the town's residents feel they don't need. So it's on the newcomer to figure it out.

Essentially the major thing is just to drive around and get to know the place. It helps if you memorize the way the main roads go together.
Except that doesn't really work, either. My mom has lived here for 63 years and SHE still gets lost! As does my aunt, sister, everyone I know.

The crazy thing is they'll all deny it. When I complain about the street system they don't know what I'm talking about since none of them have ever lived anywhere else. But, at the same time, they're all getting lost all the time!

Old 07-26-2010, 11:19 AM

613 posts, read 2,307,765 times
Unfortunately there's no easy way to learn other than just driving around and learning from experience. While GPS (with updated maps) and Mapquest/Google driving directions are very helpful, I find that a good ol' fashioned book of road maps is a terrific $10-$20 investment. I didn't have GPS when I first moved here and looking at an actual map helped me learn how roads connect up quicker and to see the "big picture" more easily than relying on turn by turn directions.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:53 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiver View Post
I didn't have GPS when I first moved here and looking at an actual map helped me learn how roads connect up quicker and to see the "big picture" more easily than relying on turn by turn directions.
Agree. I've never had a GPS (I take pride in figuring it out myself) but I've heard they malfunction or get things wrong in Boston a lot. I've also heard they call roads things locals generally would not say. Like "U.S. 3" for Memorial Drive or "David G. Mugar Way" for the portion of Storrow Drive near the Hatch Shell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston