Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 09:33 PM

7 posts, read 20,734 times

Advertisements

I will be graduating in December with my Bachelors in Social work. I Live in Springfield, IL. It is dull as a rock ..there is no culture here. All restaurants are either are commercialized. There are not many things to do either! I am 23 and every weekend there are limited things to do....movies or bars! I want a place with different things to do. I would love a place with a back yard because I have two dogs. If Boston was pet friendly with dog parks and such that would be great!! Please fill me in!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 10:36 AM

779 posts, read 876,425 times
I don't live in the city, however I do know there are several dog parks and since I work in the city, I see people with their dogs eating lunch outdoors or shopping. I live on the South Shore and there are many, many dog-friendly parks as well as dog parks that we frequent.

Pets are allowed on the T, pets are allowed on the ferries to MV and Nantucket and pets are even allowed on the busses around those islands. There are a few year-round pet friendly beaches on the cape and even those beaches that don't allow pets in the summer do allow pets at certain hours (usually early morning).

There are also several books that focus on dog-friendly hiking trails in the area as well as in NH and VT.

I find that finding food, supplements, etc. for your pet is also easy here. My dogs are on a raw diet, so we visit the butcher often, but there are also a wide variety of pet stores to choose from if I need a quality kibble.

We have newfies and also love spending time up in NH and VT, so swimming and hiking are more our priorities as opposed to the typical city-type dog owner. Still, I have to admit that I'm please with how pet-friendly the area is.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:26 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,299,411 times
The big problem, at least in and very close to Boston, is that most apartments don't allow pets. If you look on craigslist, there's a box to check for "dogs OK" and you'll see most of your search results disappear. Although sometimes the resistance can be overcome if it's an individual landlord who meets the pets and sees they're OK. The smaller they are, the easier it is to get a landlord to agree. LLs may also require a significant pet deposit to cover any damages. But it never hurts to ask.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:47 AM

420 posts, read 1,368,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
The big problem, at least in and very close to Boston, is that most apartments don't allow pets. If you look on craigslist, there's a box to check for "dogs OK" and you'll see most of your search results disappear. Although sometimes the resistance can be overcome if it's an individual landlord who meets the pets and sees they're OK. The smaller they are, the easier it is to get a landlord to agree. LLs may also require a significant pet deposit to cover any damages. But it never hurts to ask.
Also, if your dog is over 25 lbs.. you'll have an even tougher time finding anything.

We were able to find a place that accepts dogs in both brookline, and Newton... But our choices were limited. Boston is a tough, tough place to find an apt with a dog

Old 08-05-2010, 05:31 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Charlestown seems pet friendly. I know that some of the fancy apartments along the water accept dogs.

One of my co-workers has a dog, and her neighbors on the corner do too. They live in Somerville near Union Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston