Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 05:41 AM

146 posts, read 392,145 times

Advertisements

What local experience or "thing" is it that makes a person a "Bostonian"?
Is it riding the T?
Eating breakfast lunch and dinner at Dunkin Donuts?
Being a lawyer?
Going to Harvard?
Pronouncing "car" as "cah"?

So, how do you define a Bostonian in a simple stereotype?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 09:04 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,262,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiraziman View Post
What local experience or "thing" is it that makes a person a "Bostonian"?
Is it riding the T?
Eating breakfast lunch and dinner at Dunkin Donuts?
Being a lawyer?
Going to Harvard?
Pronouncing "car" as "cah"?

So, how do you define a Bostonian in a simple stereotype?
Maybe it's just coming from Boston? All the stuff on your list is part of Boston, but plenty of people have spent their whole lives here without doing any of them.

A rise in blood pressure at the sight of a Yankees logo might be a good sign, though.

Why lawyer? I'd think doctor would be more fitting.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:40 AM

2,710 posts, read 6,072,487 times
You'll need to own at least one scally cap, and a Bird throwback jersey.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:50 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,000,849 times
There are a thousand different ways to be a Bostonian. This is a city with many, many different races, income levels, careers, ages, interests, neighborhood niches....how can one experience be the quintessential one?

Old 08-05-2010, 12:12 PM

40 posts, read 107,578 times
Hating the Yankees

Old 08-05-2010, 03:03 PM

39 posts, read 163,288 times
I don't hear too many people with the "cah" accent, unless you go into Revere or parts of Southie. I think Good Will Hunting just perpetuated that stereotye. Also, I don't care about sports. The sports fanaticism comes more from the communities outside Boston... which you clearly notice if you ride the commuter rail after any sporting event.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:21 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,629,946 times
I guess if born in Boston and loyal to the Red Sox may do! If not just be you and don't wish for
where I did live etc.! One word Boston is loyal to there teams in sports even if it took the Red Sox years to reward the faithfull!
Boston in Forbes voted the faith of Boston in the Red Sox tops!

Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,204,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG1284 View Post
I don't hear too many people with the "cah" accent, unless you go into Revere or parts of Southie. I think Good Will Hunting just perpetuated that stereotye. Also, I don't care about sports. The sports fanaticism comes more from the communities outside Boston... which you clearly notice if you ride the commuter rail after any sporting event.
Are you KIDDING me? EVERYONE... and I mean EVERYONE here has the Boston accent. OK, I know maybe 4 people who don't (and even THEY say "I sawr it," including me). Most of the people I know don't think they have an accent, though. I once took a poll. Just today my cousin was saying she'd gotten rid of her Boston accent (and, ironically, made fun of my sister for having one, heh). I didn't have the heart to tell her that she really really hasn't. So, maybe you just don't hear it because you're used to it?

Anyway, I think what makes a Bostonian is the requisite crew cut, baseball hat (backwards or forwards), khaki shorts or pants, sports team t-shirt. And a really really bad accent.

Mostly the accent. I can spot a Bostonian a mile away on TV, movies, and sometimes even just walking down the street in LA.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:18 PM

39 posts, read 163,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Are you KIDDING me? EVERYONE... and I mean EVERYONE here has the Boston accent. OK, I know maybe 4 people who don't (and even THEY say "I sawr it," including me). Most of the people I know don't think they have an accent, though. I once took a poll. Just today my cousin was saying she'd gotten rid of her Boston accent (and, ironically, made fun of my sister for having one, heh). I didn't have the heart to tell her that she really really hasn't. So, maybe you just don't hear it because you're used to it
That may be, though I've been in California for about two months and nobody has called me on it yet

Also, what I consider to be the "Boston" accent is the oh-so-cannonical "pahk the cah in havad yahd". I only know three or four people who actually talk like that.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:31 PM

548 posts, read 2,091,309 times
If you aspire to be a Bostonian, you can't rush it. Authentic Bostonians have been here a while. It helps to be Irish, Italian, WASP, or African-American and know which neighborhoods are which. You know what a trolley car is...but you don't know where Whitey Bulger is.

I agree with NG184 about the team sports fanaticism being suburban. A Bostonian might be more attuned to hurling or camogie, and know their museums and libraries. Many have an intimate personal relationship to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, certain individual paintings or collections in the MFA, and the Busch Reisinger or Fogg in Cambridge, and have favorite trees at the Arnold Arboretum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston