Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,015 times

Advertisements

So i just got a new job in boston and will have to commute from providence untill october. Starting next week i have to be in woburn at 9. what would be the best time for me to leave providence. The following week ill be going to revere from providence. If i leave during rush our how long should it take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 08:02 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
If you're going to work consistently a bit north of the city of Boston, then you need to seriously consider moving to MA; connections to places like Woburn are minimal.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:17 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Ugg. PVD to Woburn at rush hour? Ouch, that is going to suck. Your going to need to plan for two hours. There's some days you can get within ten miles of the Canton/Milton line before the traffic is just entirely stopped. That means you drive 35 miles north from from PVD (assuming you are on the north side of PVD - add another possible one hour if you are south of PVD) only to be stuck in a 15 mile traffic jam and that's just to downtown. Then you still have another 15 miles of god knows what north of the city.

Use google maps Traffic function to see where the jams are. You can go east or west on 128 to woburn, it's equally as bad. Just choose the road less traveled by. 511 is also a useful service. Also taking 138 to Blue Hill Ave is an option. When I was going to downtown BOS from PVD (East Side), I would always get off there and avoid the 128/93 mess. That's good for a downtown commute - it won't help with Woburn.

Revere should be a little better as long as downtown isn't jammed.

Like MassVt said, if you work north of the city, you need to live in downtown or north of the city.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:20 AM

613 posts, read 2,306,691 times
That's going to be a painful couple of months. I'm thinking 2-2.5 hrs on average. I would join a gym near Woburn. Pack a gym bag and work clothes the night before. Roll out of bed early and directly into the car and go work out and shower/get ready at the gym. Might as well be productive in the morning. The traffic shouldn't be as painful at 5:30AM as it is at 7:30.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:54 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhayes405 View Post
So i just got a new job in boston and will have to commute from providence untill october. Starting next week i have to be in woburn at 9. what would be the best time for me to leave providence. The following week ill be going to revere from providence. If i leave during rush our how long should it take?
I would take the commuter rail into South Station and then the blue line to Revere if I were you!

Old 08-22-2010, 03:15 PM

50 posts, read 199,483 times
Yikes... I wonder if the cost of gas would even out to the cost of breaking your lease (if you have one) and just getting an apartment in the area.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:25 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
i have had to break a lease due to job change/transfers. my landlords have usually been ok with that as long as i gave them 30 days or so. you can help find the new tenant- score some brownie pts w/ the landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston