Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2010, 06:32 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,054,420 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about buying a two bedroom condo in Savin Hill OTB area - is that a sound investment, or should I look elsewhere? Looks like one can snag a small (800sqft or so) unit for around $170K right now which sounds fairly reasonable, as that would only buy a tiny one bedroom in Allston/Brighton or a basement studio in Back Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 07:24 PM

4,883 posts, read 13,762,514 times
Y'know, I was in Savin Hill a couple of weeks ago and noticed a for-sale sign at that almost-new townhouse complex which faces the expressway (part of why the price is relatively low, if I'm thinking of the right place.) That reasonable a cost makes me skeptical. The perpetual roar of traffic alone wouldn't make a home that inexpensive. There may be problems, major problems, with the quality of the buildings' construction. Or there may be drama going on in the owners' association. "If it sounds to good to be true..."
Come to think of it, about the only place which would have a 2-BR that'd also be that small has to be in the group of brick-box buildings that hugs the curve of Savin Hill Ave and extends down Linda Lane. Other than "screaming" the 1960's by their drab and dated appearance, they seem to be holding up just fine. (No cracks in the exterior; rust-free balcony railings; undamaged doors; etc.) Since the OP is being totally up front about purchasing a home for "investment purposes," from that perspective I'd be favorably inclined to say "Go ahead." Savin Hill is getting better and better in spite of most of Dot Ave's stubbornly staying grungy and rundown. And the OTB part was never bad to begin with.
If I've completely guessed wrong as to where this bargain-priced property is, say so! lol

Old 08-22-2010, 09:08 PM

You're correct, it is one of the ugly brick boxes on Linda Lane. Close enough to the T stop, but I'm guessing far enough from the highway and railroad tracks in order for noise not to be a major issue. Planning to live there for a couple years and sell it once the market gets better.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:39 PM

As long as it's on Linda Lane I'd say to check into it further - definitely worth pursuing. The "sonic wallpaper" pretty much disappears once you turn off of Savin Hill Ave. Parking looks to be adequate as well, that alone is a good selling point. My long legs can get me there from the station inside of four minutes.
Whenever you need to leave the world behind, all you have to do is climb the hill to Savin Hill Park, one of my favorite urban greenspaces anywhere. The only "landscaping" is some grass mowing, and there are no picnic tables or basketball courts or any other "amenities" to draw crowds. Perch on one of the boulders and drink in the amazing view of the harbor. All around there the neighborhood is so quiet that the cliche "you'd almost forget you're in the middle of a city" applies.
One of my favorite urban diners anywhere is McKenna's, at the corner of Savin Hill Ave and South Sydney St. It's a community gathering place with yummy housemade breakfasts and lunches and efficient but friendly waitstaff. What I like a lot beyond all that is that it's nobody's "turf." Walk in at any time and you'll see an AA family tucking into pancakes at one table, a bunch of Asian and White kids wolfing down sandwiches while jabbering about their softball practice at the next table, three "stereotypical" gay men lingering over coffee at the bar, etc etc, everyone enjoying themselves and/or their companions. As recently as the '80s, Savin Hill had been known as "Stab N' Kill" for all its street crime, and gaybashings as well as racist incidents occurred fairly often. Walking around there today this is hard to believe, and amidst the happy buzz of activity in McKenna's it's impossible to believe. Invoking yet another cliche, the difference between the ugliness of times not long past and the harmonious coexistence of people in the present is "like night and day."
So yeah, I'm sold on the neighborhood. As for Linda Lane, the buildings are what they are. But the advantage of having a concrete slab for a balcony is that you can grill on it!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:17 PM

Done deal - $172K with all closing costs paid by the seller, hope I won't regret it...

Old 08-29-2010, 06:53 PM

Housewarming party at BFD's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston