Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 08:51 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times

Advertisements

I live in Houston and apparently no one in the entire city carries this salt and I am not really anxious to pay 4 - 5 times the cost of the product to have it shipped. A co-worker is headed up to Massachusetts next week and has promised to try and find this salt and bring it back to me (he's driving) but it would help if I knew where to point him to look. He won't be staying in Boston but rather in Nantucket and Marblehead but if the salt is sold in stores common to all those places then he shouldn't have a problem. I do know that the product is much more readily available on the East Coast so I am hopeful for a successful outcome. Any suggestions, anyone? Thanks from Texas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 10:46 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
It seems to me that you can buy that brand of Kosher salt in any major grocery store. I buy it at Stop n Shop. It's a great salt to cook with, so I really think that your friend will be able to find it at any large grocery store on the islands. I suppose that if they can't find it for you, PM me and I can mail you some.

Hey. Check out this Diamond Salt Company page for a retail store locator for their culinary products.

http://www.diamondcrystalsalt.com/Cu...em-Finder.aspx

Also from another page on their site:
Quote:
Want to Order Products Directly?

If you would like to order select retail food products directly from our warehouse, please call us at 1‑800‑428‑4244.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:02 AM

Thanks so much for the suggestions as to how to obtain that salt. I looked all over the Diamond Crystal site for a way to order it but could find nothing so I appreciate the toll-free number. You are so nice to offer to mail me some and I will keep your offer in reserve in case everything else fails.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Is there something special abut Diamond brand?

Old 08-24-2010, 01:48 PM

There are two major brands of kosher salt, Morton's and Diamond Crystal. The Morton's has an additive to keep it from clumping and it is made of large firm crystals. The Diamond Crystal salt is a flakier crystal that can be crummbled by the fingers and it adheres to food better. It also is much less dense than Morton's and considerably less dense than regular table salt, making it less "salty." Virtually all professional chefs cook with kosher salt and among that group, most prefer the Diamond Crystal.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:21 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
You should see if a moderator can change the title of your thread. It should really say "Where to buy Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt in Marblehead or Nantucket".

Old 08-24-2010, 06:59 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
"The Diamond Crystal salt is a flakier crystal that can be crummbled by the fingers and it adheres to food better. It also is much less dense than Morton's"

Interesting to know, thanks! I use Morton's kosher salt but I'll try Diamond's version if I ever see it.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:04 AM

Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry. I think I can take it from here I have told my friend to look whenever the opportunity presents itself but not to go out of his way to search. If he comes back empty-handed then I will simply order it online and be done with it. Salt lasts a long time so it's not as though I will have to make this a regular event.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:25 AM

58 posts, read 97,963 times
Default Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt

I live in Houston and have had no problem finding this product locally. Try Spec's on Smith St or Central Market in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston