U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:31 PM

2,023 posts, read 2,357,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Cliff Clavin, you can take the Red Line to the Silver Line, which goes to Logan.
This is true, but it's a bus and not a rail line.

Also I've never taken the Silver to Logan. Any idea how the service is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 03:38 PM

4,995 posts, read 3,993,722 times
I should also point out that it may not be necessary to actually reside within a Japanese community to enjoy it; you can live in a neighboring town, etc.
There isn't any "Little Tokyo" in Boston, but there is a Japanese community, and I believe that you'll find it in Quincy, Cambridge and Arlington.

Some neighboring towns/cities that have nice residential neigborhoods include Brookline, Newton, Cambridge, Arlington, Belmont; Watertown and Medford also have some nice neighborhoods, as well. Some of these neigborhoods will be quite pricey, but some may be within your price range, especially if you get a decent price for your home in Mississippi.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:04 PM

199 posts, read 506,063 times
Salem offers relatively easy commute to the airport - less than 1/2 hour. Peabody Essex Museum in Salem offers the cultural connections to Japan; Salem State College also has a ton of Japanese students due to the connections with the City of Salem. You'd also have a good range of housing possibilities for your budget and it's on the ocean as well.

Belmont has a sizable Japanese population but the problem for you may be the housing. You can find a condo in Belmont for $300-400K, but I don't know about a single family house within your budget. Ditto for Newton and Brookline.

Arlington and Medford are a less expensive communities that work for you.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:21 PM
miu

12,687 posts, read 20,829,351 times
If you lived in Arlington, your wife could drive or take the bus down Mass Ave into Porter Square, Cambridge. There's a lot of Japanese that hang out in the old Sears building complex.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:51 AM

128 posts, read 170,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
This is true, but it's a bus and not a rail line.

Also I've never taken the Silver to Logan. Any idea how the service is?
I've taken it several times from South Station and find it very easy. The buses come regularly and usually aren't over-crowded. I've also taken the blue line to the airport several times (in fact, I'm taking it today), but I don't find it any more convenient because I have to get on a bus to get to the terminal, anyway.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:53 AM

193 posts, read 311,504 times
I have found Silver Line buses more frequent than those connecting to the Blue Line at the Airport Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston