Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:43 PM

22 posts, read 108,793 times

Advertisements

I am visiting Boston this weekend and usually only go up for one night to see a game, however this time we will have a couple days.

I've been debating between doing the freedom trail, duck tour or a harbor sunset cruise or dinner cruise.

I read some bad reviews of the harbor cruise and that they are crowded so I'm not sure I want to do that now. The dinner cruises look like fun but are 200 dollars and that doesn't even include drinks!

The freedom trail I'd love to do but am unsure whether we should just buy the iphone app for 2.99 and trek it ourselves or go on one of the tours.
And I'm not really sure about the duck tours...

Also if anyone has other suggestions that would be great.

Also we wanted to find the best clam chowder, go to a comedy club and a good restaurant for dinner if anyone can recommend some good ones.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 06:32 PM

12,840 posts, read 22,014,769 times
I generally encourage people to use the Freedom Trail as the "backbone" of their visit. My personal advice is to avoid the "app" or the tour guide. You can follow the trail and stop at what interests you and pass by what doesn't.

The reason I suggest making it the backbone is because it will take you by all sorts of other attractions (not necessarily historic or related to the freedom trail). You'll pass through the North End (where you'll find great Italian foods, coffee and desserts), Quincy Market, Beacon Hill, the Financial District, and Charlestown. You'll pass through tons of cool neighborhoods and by many eclectic shops and places to visit. It's a great way to get a feel for not only the city's colonial past, but the present as well (which is no less interesting).

Duck Tours and Harbor Cruises are sort of a novelty. You have to decide just how interesting you'll find them. You can learn more and discover more places by just walking yourself.

In addition, I'd head into Cambridge and see Harvard Square. A very cool area. The Skywalk at Prudential Center is a cool way to see the city. If you skip the Harbor Cruise, take the money and go grab a drink or two at the bar at Top of the Hub... it's on the 52nd floor of the Prudential Tower so the views of the city are stunning (food here is OK, but overpriced... I'd eat somewhere else).

As far as restaurants, what are you looking for? What price, cuisine, etc? I can think of a ton that would be fun in all different categories.

Consider a fenway park walking tour. You can see the stadium from field level. Prices are reasonable.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:40 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Also, it's supposed to rain this weekend. Your best bet is to plan your weekend around things within walking (or subway) distance, that don't involve being stuck on a boat for a few hours.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:20 PM

158 posts, read 545,751 times
Irfox has some good advice.

The Freedom Trail is reccod because it cuts through the heart of many neighborhoods with things to do and T-Stops in a short distance. Plus the red line is a good way not to get lost.

Get a pamphlet, skip the guide, and check out the Navy Yard, North End, Fanueil Hall. Its more of a nice walk... "pub crawl" with some historical sites.

I had to go on a duck tour for work and thought it would suck, but was pleasantly suprised. I forget about the TOH at the Pru, but it is a nice place to grab a drink.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:06 AM

Thanks, I forgot about the Top of the Pru, and our hotel is at Copley place so maybe we will do that. I did in Chicago and found the sunset views amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

As far as restaurants, what are you looking for? What price, cuisine, etc? I can think of a ton that would be fun in all different categories.

Consider a fenway park walking tour. You can see the stadium from field level. Prices are reasonable.
For restaurants price is anywhere between 10-30/plate. We like all kinds of food just maybe not Indian or anything too spicy. Also my boyfriend loves clam chowder so I wanted to show him one of the best ones.

We did the Fenway park tour in March actually and are going to Saturdays game....

I used to go to Northeastern so I know the city well - just not the whole touristy part of it (or good restaurants since I was a poor college kid then!)

Old 09-01-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Also, it's supposed to rain this weekend. Your best bet is to plan your weekend around things within walking (or subway) distance, that don't involve being stuck on a boat for a few hours.
The rain is scheduled to hit Friday and the weekend looks to be 75-80 and sunny (we are leaving Saturday) so I'm hoping to miss it - just hope our patio doesnt get destroyed here in CT when this hurricane hits Friday!

Old 09-06-2010, 03:27 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
I wish I'd seen this before. I was in Boston this weekend. Aside from a little rain on Friday, it turned out to be really beautiful.

What did you end up doing?

Old 09-17-2010, 05:38 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,007 times
I just got back from spending a week in Boston on a business conference, my first visit.

I had a fantastic time, your city is amazing. I haven't eaten so much, or so well, in a long time. Great weather. Lots of friendly people, great sights, Boston has to be the healthiest city in the northeastern U.S. - what a great place for walking, running, biking, and rowing. So much to do. And the cannoli, My God, the cannoli!

I'll be coming back, a lot.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:45 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I just got back from spending a week in Boston on a business conference, my first visit.

I had a fantastic time, your city is amazing. I haven't eaten so much, or so well, in a long time. Great weather. Lots of friendly people, great sights, Boston has to be the healthiest city in the northeastern U.S. - what a great place for walking, running, biking, and rowing. So much to do. And the cannoli, My God, the cannoli!

I'll be coming back, a lot.
Boston was ranked the 2nd fittest city in the USA recently.

Glad you enjoyed your visit Mike. I'm guessing you found Mike's Pastries?

Old 09-19-2010, 01:11 PM

14 posts, read 19,698 times
If you're visiting with your significant other and haven't already spent much time on the Boston Common and the weather is nice, then I recommend the Duck Tour ride. Yes, it's a bit cheesy and pricey, but it's the coolest tour ride, fun and romantic.

I also recommend walking (not driving!) around the North End. Don't forget to try the cannoli or other goodies at Modern Pastry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston