Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 06:33 PM

48 posts, read 217,610 times

Advertisements

We just got approved to live at the Highlands at Faxon Woods apts in Quincy, I know there's a few Quincy people on here, how is that area in general terms? We love the fact that there's a Roche Bros and Walmart right on that hill and the Walgreens on the corner, but other than that we didn't really get a chance to explore much around that area.

What part of Quincy is that, South Quincy? I think the closest T station would be the Quincy Center station right of off Burgin Pkwy?

Any good eateries nearby? Entertainment? (mainly a movie theater like AMC or Regal since going to the movies is our main source of entertainment)

Also, we noticed that Faxon Park is nearby? How is that, is it a good place to spend an afternoon having a picnic perhaps?

I tried to search this forum for info about this area before asking, but I was unable to come up with anything, so my apologies if this has been discussed before! Thanks for any info you all can share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 10:53 AM

385 posts, read 1,454,950 times
I'm not sure about the area, as I don't live in that section of Quincy. I think it would be considered South Quincy, though. Actually, the Quincy Adams T stop would probably be closer than Quincy Center.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:53 AM

613 posts, read 2,307,765 times
I don't know anything about your apartment complex per se, but I used to live right around there. I suppose you'd call it South Quincy and it's pretty equal distance to both Quincy Center and Quincy-Adams. It's far to walk to either (and you can't walk to Quincy-Adams b/c you have to cross a highway).

I liked living there. It's definitely more residential than being right in Quincy Center or Wollaston, but it's a quick car ride everywhere. Personally, I think you would need a car in that particular area of Quincy.

Definitely check out the Kam Man Marketplace (it's the light before the Wal-Mart/Roche Bros light). It's the mecca for all things Asian. It's an Asian grocery store and so much more. I love it.

The area in and around Hancock St. in Quincy Center has nightlife and eats. The Fours for a sports bar and good pub food, the Fat Cat, Fuji Sushi were some of my faves.

There used to be a movie theater across from the South Shore Mall in Braintree, but it was an old one and may even be closed now. We used to always drive 15 min to Randolph to the big Showcase Cinemas. The Mall is pretty decent and lots of chain restaurants over there. I prefer taking the back way to the mall - less than a 10 min drive (Faxon Rd and left on Franklin St, right on High St, Left on Washington St, but don't get on the highway, and right on Common St.)

You're also not that far away from Marina Bay which is near North Quincy. Also, you can drive down to Wollaston Beach on Quincy Shore Drive to go for a walk or a run. There are a bunch of clam shack places on that stretch.

Faxon Park is fine. I think I went there once or twice, but I don't see why you couldn't have a nice picnic there.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:30 AM

385 posts, read 1,454,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiver View Post
There used to be a movie theater across from the South Shore Mall in Braintree, but it was an old one and may even be closed now.
The movie theater is still there. Now, if only they could reopen the Wollaston Theater...

Old 09-19-2010, 04:46 PM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
When I lived in Quincy, I used to do most of my shopping at that Roche Bros. In fact, the one and only fight my husband and I got into over the wedding took place in that parking lot, haha. Ah, memories

My recommendations are similar to shiver's. I also really like the Fat Cat. Also, I'm a huge fan of Kagawa Sushi which is in Quincy center. It's the best sushi I've ever had. There are also a couple of Irish pubs in Quincy center that I liked and I sort of liked The Fours.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:20 PM

48 posts, read 217,610 times
Thanks everyone for the info! Especially shiver for the detailed response. I feel like we'll have a bit of a foundation now when we finally arrive. I checked out Fat Cat online, seems like a pretty cool place to hang out and The Fours seems like a good place to check out the games! When we passed by Kam Man, it actually piqued our interest, so we'll be sure to check that out as well.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:23 AM

22 posts, read 22,905 times
They is a lot of construction around Quincy Center/Stop and Shop HQ. The YMCA was recently re-built, it looks pretty nice from the outside.
The Fat Cat has the best lobster mac, lots of decent dimsum around the area, these days we like Grand Chinatown tucked away near B-Cafe (which has yummy, inexpensive rice plates). Hot pot is nearby at Shabu restaurant, which is tasty.

Tons of food options on Hancock St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston