Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 07:18 AM

13 posts, read 35,146 times

Advertisements

My husband will be attending college in Boston next year. We live in the Southeast right now and I have a great job (good hours and decent pay) that i am really sick of and career prospects for the future are bleak as there are nearly NO job openings anywhere and my counterparts are mostly unemployed. So I feel blessed to have this job even though I don't like it. However, there are ZERO job prospects for my husband here (he followed me to this job/area had a decent job but then was laid off) so to further his trade, he is going to school in Boston (a decision I completely support). Sorry that's a long explanation, but my question is what would be my best choice? New England in general has a higher cost of living (mostly rent/mortgage is WAY cheaper where I'm at now) and slim chance of job in current career for me... so I could change careers but that will require school (I guess) and therefore loans (hate those). I really really want to move out of this place I hate it. I want another career, I need an income of about 50k- 60k/ year (I make 56k now Gross - after taxes and what-not it's $41k take home... you see the income problem right?) or I could make less than that if there was room for advancement. I"m a hard worker and learn fast, but my current job has zero chance for advancement (diagnostic imaging- health field, don't let it fool you, there are cutbacks everywhere), even if I stay here. Should I save a little cash, find any job in MA, and move with my husband? Or stay behind for a year, saving a bigger safety-net of $$? (we have a tiny savings now, just enough for him to fly there and get an apt) Or choose a new career path (no idea, been looking, but not certain) and try to re-apply to college? ANY support, information, advice, or personal experience welcomed.

Last edited by soucha; 09-18-2010 at 07:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 06:58 PM

118 posts, read 480,232 times
u have a great job that your sick of? huh? well if u dont like what u are doing or not enjoying it u should leave. i am originally from boston moved to florida for 6yrs and as of 1 yr ago ive been back up here. the job market is alot better than it is down south i think. and thats the main reason i moved back home. but lifes to short to sweat the small stuff. u dont know what u are made of until try it out right? since u said health imaging i would assume its related to the MRI field? well the health industry is pretty good up here i think. u gotta remember boston is well known for there schools and hospitals. but to be safe i would save up some money 4 moving expenses, rent + deposits, and xtra money in case u want to move back. but if u could specify what u do and ur experience maybe we can better help u. but 4 41k u can live off that but within ur means. also where is he going to college, will he be working?

Old 09-22-2010, 04:19 PM

13 posts, read 35,146 times
Hi! I also used to live in FL. Too hot. Sorry, my question was kinda confusing. That's great if the job market is better up there! I meant that my job here provides a decent income and good hours (4 days a week), but that I have no desire to remain in this area. A move to Massachusetts or upstate NY would be great for my mental state :-) The problem comes in since there are few openings in my field... which is Nuclear Medicine Technologist... and I have spent the last 2.5 yrs in cardiology so I need some refresher training if I were to switch back to generals unless there is an opening in the cardiology dept. I have applied for a job at Mass. Gen. Hospital, but no reply. My husband has applied to North Bennett Street School. Don't worry, once we move I won't want to come back. If we don't like Boston (we have visited and thoroughly enjoyed it then), then we will just move somewhere else, but not back to the south (I've lived here my whole life, aside from some traveling). I just need a decent job there, I was trying to express that I wouldn't be opposed to a career change if necessary. Husband plans on trying to get 10 hrs of work at a part time job, since his school doesn't recommend much more than that as he is applying to the full time program. Are there PT jobs that offer that few amount of hours, like weekend work? He has carpentry and home improvement skills. I am sorting out the finances now. The earliest I could make a move would be February 2011, but I'd be better off waiting until May to have plenty of savings. I'm trying to work on a budget... would it likely be cheaper to rent along a commuter rail route and pay the higher monthly fees for that, or live within the subway lines (vs cost of rent differences)? We'd like to sell our car, but park our truck at the end of a subway line for trips out of town... are there lots to park there for free? I have a horse and need to either board her or rent a small 'hobby' farm (something I expect to be too expensive for us), so I thought if I kept the truck, I could board her further out from town to make it less expensive.. maybe $200/mo or less?

Old 10-05-2010, 11:07 AM

118 posts, read 480,232 times
not sure about the horse situation. but its def. cheaper the further u get from the city. check out MBTA.com > Official Website for Greater Boston's Public Transportation System for the routes. maybe u can determine where to live. try craigslist for jobs as well. subway might be cheaper but the commuter rail is more nice and comfy and probably less cramped. but yeah i would hold out til may so u can save more and beat the winter. parking lots are not free. u are better off driving to the commuter rail from ur place. hope this gets u going. anymore questions just ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: