Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 12:20 AM

1 posts, read 956 times

Advertisements

Hello! This is actually my first post on this forum but it seems like a great place to really get to know the city and all so I hope to stick around a bit! I know this is a really long thread so if you don't feel like reading it all, I labeled the actual question part so you can skip all the stuff about me at the beginning!

Introduction:
I moved to Boston from Pennsylvania (and before that, Japan until I was 13) about 3 years ago to start at Umass Boston and absolutely fell in love with the city. About a year and a half ago, I received a scholarship from the Okinawan government (I'm half Japanese and this scholarship is only offered to Okinawan descendants to go back to the island to study our culture and language and history) so I decided to take a year off to take this scholarship and study in Japan.

One year turned into a year and a half and next month I will be returning to Boston with my fiancee, who I met here in Japan.

Here's the thing. He's Hawaiian from Molokai, a tiny, tiny island in Hawaii with a reputation for being the least touched by mainland influences. His year and half here in Japan is the only place outside of Hawaii he's ever lived.

He seems really excited to move to the mainland and see the city I've been describing to him all year but honestly, I'm a little worried that living in a big city, even a city like Boston will be a littler overwhelming for him.

The question:

So here are my thoughts (and where my real question comes in), I've been putting together some Hawaiian recipes for him. I'm not sure yet whether I'll use them right away or just use them if he starts getting homesick or whatever. (I'm pretty sure he will, since even here in Japan, there are times he misses home or at least really wants some home-cooking- luckily though, there is a good Hawaiian restaurant here that we can go to.)

The problem with Hawaiian cooking is that a lot of the ingredients seem hard to find on the mainland. His sister is going to send me some Hawaiian salt, a staple in most of those recipes, but I'm hoping someone has some suggestions on where to find Taro leaves (like for squid lua'u).

I apologize for the HUGE post, I didn't quite mean for it to get this long - but thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston