Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 03:55 PM

6 posts, read 38,169 times

Advertisements

I just moved to a small town about 20 minutes south of Boston and I need to find a short-term foster home for my dog. Sending her to a Kennel does not appeal to me and it is very expensive. I am thinking about asking some of my neighbors for advice, if I ever have the chance of seeing them around.
It would be for 2 months, then I am taking her back (the idea of parting with her for any length of time is heart breaking).
Does any one have any suggestions or know of any organizations that can steer me in the right direction? My family lives out-of-state, and I could use them as a last resort.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 05:32 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Why can't you keep her for two months?

Old 10-11-2010, 05:52 PM

It's a long story, but I moved here to help out a friend's aging parents and her father hates dogs, especially ones that don't live outside all the time. This situation is only for 2 months. I understand that I need to board her somewhere, since fostering insinuates that she will be prepared for a new forever home.
I am interested in finding some organization, or place where she will be in a home setting and cared for, and I can visit.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:52 PM

68 posts, read 183,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemre View Post
I just moved to a small town about 20 minutes south of Boston and I need to find a short-term foster home for my dog. Sending her to a Kennel does not appeal to me and it is very expensive. I am thinking about asking some of my neighbors for advice, if I ever have the chance of seeing them around.
It would be for 2 months, then I am taking her back (the idea of parting with her for any length of time is heart breaking).
Does any one have any suggestions or know of any organizations that can steer me in the right direction? My family lives out-of-state, and I could use them as a last resort.
Thanks.
Just curious - why do you need foster care for him/her - and what type of breed? (Always afraid of so-called "temporary" situations turning into... forever). You might find a good hearted soul here on this forum - but if I were you, I'd make sure you've figured out how much you can pay for this service ahead of time.

You might try to list this under "gigs" on Craigslist (I'd be careful screening people).

I also looked under their "Services - Pets" section, and came up with quite a few dog boarding listings. Maybe for that amt of time someone might cut a less expensive deal for you.

I did a search for "temporary canine foster care, massachusetts", and found this:

Pet Foster Care

It's supposed to be for the military, but maybe you could list an ad under a MA base. You might also call local shelters, explain that you need only temporary foster care for a specific amount of time, and can afford to pay a specified amount - maybe one of the shelters can refer you to someone.

In any case, I'd have some simple documents made up to make sure you get your dog back - I'm the kind of person that sees the best, but prepares for the worst-case scenario. Not to make you a nervous wreck, but not everyone is a decent person!

I'm tempted - I just lost my dear, oldest dog last wk, and it's tough right now. (I knew that taking this moniker would be painful one day - only two of my 'threedogs' are now with me. )

I also take care of other dogs on occasion.

I keep away from looking at photos of dogs that need to be adopted, due to my tendency for canine-weakness, lol. However, I know I'd be taking on more than I could handle, but I'll ask around & see if I can come up with anything.

Good luck!

Old 10-11-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
It's a long story, but I moved here to help out a friend's aging parents and her father hates dogs, especially ones that don't live outside all the time. This situation is only for 2 months. I understand that I need to board her somewhere, since fostering insinuates that she will be prepared for a new forever home.
I am interested in finding some organization, or place where she will be in a home setting and cared for, and I can visit.
Sorry - I was typing my response as you were, apparently, answering my very same question!

Old 10-11-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
It's a long story, but I moved here to help out a friend's aging parents and her father hates dogs, especially ones that don't live outside all the time.
Well, since you came here to help her parents - you could always tell the dad that HE needs to live outside while you are here. Sorry, but I've had my fill of mean people lately - it's one thing if you are getting a salary for this - if not, I'd tell them my dog stays or find someone else to help you.

Plain and simple - this is advice coming from too much experience on my part!

Old 10-11-2010, 06:07 PM

That's ok anouk_pantoufle (I know that name, which movie, I can't remember, I want to say Amelie?).
I am sorry to hear about your dog, I did look into contracts and the such. I love my dog so much, and would hate to send her away to someone that would love her as much as I do and refuse to part with her.
Well, I have an 11 pound mutt. She's a Shih Tzu, Maltese, Poodle mix. She's almost 1 year and 5 months now. Housebroken (unless you ignore her blatant cues that she has to go outside), but I keep her either crated or tethered to her crate when I leave since she (still, despite my best efforts) shows some separation anxiety (she gets mad because I don't take her along and does things such as getting into my yarn and running with it all over the place), and usually laid back with people and animals. She's so sweet and friendly, unless she gets too excited, then she's like a speed demon flashing by you at warp speed and the only reason you know that she's running by is because she's making a funny sound. She's the only 'child' that I have and can't stand thinking about parting with her, I might just ship her to my mother (although she will be returned to me with very bad manners). I don't exactly trust Craigslist, and am hesitant to post something an ad there.

I saw that same link for the military families, and passed right over it, since I am not in the military and don't think that I should use a service intended for our men and women in the military.

Thanks for the help, I am going to make an effort to get to know my new neighbors and see if any of them have advice, and maybe be willing to help me out.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:33 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
Where at south of Boston so people here can give you some better leads

Old 10-11-2010, 06:57 PM

Close to Stoughton, but I think that I found a solution. A VERY GOOD friend just offered to take her for as long as necessary. Need to send my babe on a plane ride by herself though.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
That's ok anouk_pantoufle (I know that name, which movie, I can't remember, I want to say Amelie?).
You're the first person who recognized it!!! Congrats - I should have a prize lined up, lol. I've used it on other sites, too, and no one ever mentioned recognizing it - no, it wasn't Amelie, but you were close. It was Chocolat. Anouk was her daughter, and Pantoufle was the daughter's little imaginary kangaroo. (pantoufle means kangaroo in French, I believe.)

Quote:
I am sorry to hear about your dog, I did look into contracts and the such. I love my dog so much, and would hate to send her away to someone that would love her as much as I do and refuse to part with her.
Or worse!

Quote:
Well, I have an 11 pound mutt. She's a Shih Tzu, Maltese, Poodle mix. She's almost 1 year and 5 months now. Housebroken (unless you ignore her blatant cues that she has to go outside), but I keep her either crated or tethered to her crate when I leave since she (still, despite my best efforts) shows some separation anxiety (she gets mad because I don't take her along and does things such as getting into my yarn and running with it all over the place), and usually laid back with people and animals. She's so sweet and friendly, unless she gets too excited, then she's like a speed demon flashing by you at warp speed and the only reason you know that she's running by is because she's making a funny sound. She's the only 'child' that I have and can't stand thinking about parting with her, I might just ship her to my mother (although she will be returned to me with very bad manners).
Aw, she sounds like a cutie! My guys are mutts, too - the finest breed there is, I believe. I want to swoop up & rescue all out there, but I know I can't.

I know what you mean about Craigslist - it's OK for me, for apt searching or looking for a great used food processor - but my dogs are my babe, as I can see yours is, for you, also. And I understand what you mean about not using a site meant for the military - unless the list-owners said it was OK, I think, and if you clarified that you weren't military in the ad, just a loving dog-mom who wants the best for her babe.

But I see that you may have found the solution in a friend of yours - wonderful! I wish you - and your canine babe - the best! Hope it works out.

(I still think the dad should be the one to sleep outside, lol)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: