Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 08:25 AM

17 posts, read 108,063 times

Advertisements

hey every one
I live in Boston and myemployer do not like me and he fired me and he do not want me to apply for unemployment insurance and he menaced me if I do he will put something bad in my historic social security number.
has he the right to modify my database SSN (without going to the police ) ?
I do not want a new employer find a claim against me when he check my SSN
Explain me and clarify me please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 09:16 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Your social security number has nothing to do with anything, it's not a file, there's no data in it. It's just a number that says "This person exists in this country."

He can't prevent you from filing for unemployment. That doesn't mean you'll qualify to GET unemployment, but you can file, and he can't stop you. It isn't up to him to decide whether or not you can get unemployment. It's up to the labor board.

Also, "re-hire" would be if he hires you back to his company. That's not the term you're looking for. He -can- mark you for no re-hire, in the personnel file he has for you. That would mean, that if you tried to get another job with him, he would say "Well I didn't like him the first time, I'm not gonna let him in a second time." That's what re-hire means. It means hiring the same person more than once.

He can't blacklist you (that's the term you're looking for). That is illegal. If you're looking for a new job and put your old job on your application as the last place you worked, and say "DO NOT CONTACT," then the new boss can't call the old boss for an opinion.

Unfortunately, this can count against you, because the new boss might not be willing to hire someone who won't let him talk to the old boss.

On the other hand, the old boss isn't allowed to give the new boss much information at all. He can't say you were a bad employee. He also can't say you were a good employee. Really all he's allowed to say, is that you worked there, and say the dates you worked there, and the job title.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:00 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,467 times
File for unemployment; don't let him intimidate you and don't lose sleep over it.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:47 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
On the other hand, the old boss isn't allowed to give the new boss much information at all. He can't say you were a bad employee. He also can't say you were a good employee. Really all he's allowed to say, is that you worked there, and say the dates you worked there, and the job title.
And whether you're marked as re-hire = no, correct?

Old 11-09-2010, 10:54 AM

40 posts, read 300,242 times
Actually, it is not against the law to say negative things about a previous employee. Most companies have internal policies against it only to shield themselves from potential lawsuits.

It's only against the law to purposefully give false information.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:10 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Depends on the state. Some states have stricter privacy laws to protect employees. I know in Connecticut, they can't even tell you the job title the employee held. The only thing they're allowed to do is confirm that the employee really did work for them, and the dates of employment. Anything else is a violation of state law.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:24 PM

312 posts, read 867,701 times
Same in MA- the bare minimum...

Old 11-11-2010, 11:36 AM

40 posts, read 300,242 times
Can someone please point to the MA law that states this?

All information I can find states that in MA, the previous employer can legally say whatever they want as long as they don't lie.

Here's a link to the MA Law Forum from 2009 that addresses this:

What can a former employer say in reference to former employee? | The Forum for Massachusetts Law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: