U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 07:56 AM

5 posts, read 18,938 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking to possibly relocate to Boston area in the near future. And was wondering if anyone can suggest good cities/neighborhoods.

Some criteria:
-I teach part-time at Bunket Hill Community College in Charleston, so I would like to be no more than 10 miles from there.

-Price wise: $700 with utilities, at this price it definitely seems that it will be impossible to get an apartment, so I will be considering shared rooms.

-Safety: This is an important factor. After living in a not so nice area in LA during grad school, I definitely want to live somewhere where it is safe.

-Neighborhood style: Being in my mid-20s, I would like a college-style, urban neighborhood. Preferably, with a shopping/restaurants, entertainment walking distance or 10-15 min drive. But this is not quite as important as the other stuff.

So just based on this and my limited knowledge of Boston area, it seems that Somerville and Cambridge are the best options. Just a quick look on Craiglist it seems reasonable to find rooms at that price, if you look hard enough.

So I was wondering if anyone can suggest similar style/price/safety cities/neighborhoods aside from Somerville or Cambridge. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 08:06 AM
miu

16,468 posts, read 33,418,786 times
I have several co-workers that live in Somerville near Union Square. They are very happy with their apartment shares.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:27 PM

5,760 posts, read 13,323,224 times
I'm not sure what you mean by a "college-style" neighborhood. Because you are a few years older than the typical college student, I'm guessing you mean a neighborhood with a lot of young professionals. In that case, Cambridge and Somerville would be good choices. If in fact you are looking for an area with a concentration of undergrad students, then the Fenway area and the western end of Back Bay, near Kenmore Square, would be worth a look.

The South End might be worth a look because the area has a concentration of young professionals, but the tricky part there is that your options on your budget even with shared housing might be somewhat limited. Worth a looksee, though, because if you can find something within your price range much of the South End would be a good fit for a young professional.

You might also consider Charlestown itself. Charlestown is an old blue collar area which has seen some gentrification by young professionals in recent years, so that now there's a mix of young professionals and the old blue collar flavor. The area is not as gentrified overall as Somerville and much of the South End, for example, but there is a bit of gentrification in C'town, and the area is close to downtown and other areas in the heart of Boston where you can find a variety of nightlife.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:53 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,411,945 times
Along with Somerville and Cambridge, I'd recommend Jamaica Plain. A lot of young professionals and grad students live there, and it is on the same subway line as Bunker Hill Community College (Orange Line), so your commute would be fairly easy. All three neighborhoods offer a somewhat Bohemian/artsy/intellectual feel, and a variety of housing options at a full range of price points.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:05 AM

7,336 posts, read 15,302,120 times
I second JP. The Orange Line will take you straight to BHCC. I live on Centre Street right now and it's great. There's a nice blend of young families, newlyweds and students. Lots of shops, bars and restaurants too.

I used to live in Mission Hill. It was a little more collegiate, but I'm much happier in JP now (I'm 24).

Old 11-17-2010, 09:15 PM

245 posts, read 546,956 times
JAMAICA PLAIN!!!!

I lived in JP from 1992-2001 and loved it. I know it has changed and become more "Brookline-ized" and also much more expensive, but it's a cool neighborhood and the Orange Line will get you to BHCC in about 30 mins.

When I first moved to JP in '92 everyone thought it was a ghetto and feared for my safety. It was a bit iffy back then but my oh my has it changed now. It's a quirky little neighborhood but it's safer now and has a much stronger college scene.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:50 PM

105 posts, read 211,653 times
Malden is good too less than 10 minute ride of the orange line

Old 11-24-2010, 01:57 AM

5 posts, read 13,989 times
Allston/Brighton is a good fit. Hop on Storrow drive or cut thru Cambridge and you're at BHCC in no time. Definite college neighborhood with bars, restuarants, etc (Comm ave, Beacon st). Also safe, there are a lot of families here. T right into downtown is nice.

Brighton is more yuppy/post-grad than Allston which I find is better. You still get the college vibe but not the animal house part of it.

Generally speaking I would stay towards the north/western parts of the city. Boston is pretty safe, but some areas like Mission Hill and Blue Hill ave. still aren't the best. (just don't tell the Northeastern U kids that!) lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or