U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 09:33 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,010,551 times

Advertisements

If we can count Somerville, I challenge anyone who claims Boston is not diverse to take a trip to the Market Basket in Union Square. Actually, Union Square as a whole is incredibly diverse: The Halal butcher down the street from Peruvian restaurant next to a locavore shop across from the Brazilian buffet/spa on the block after the Korean supermarket. And that's just off the top of my head.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:42 AM

7,336 posts, read 15,298,585 times
I don't think Boston is as diverse as the MOST diverse cities in the U.S. It's not the melting pot New York is (and who could expect it to be?) and It's not nearly as mixed as San Francisco. D.C. is more blended too. Philadelphia, Baltimore, Atlanta, etc and a number of other cities have larger African American populations and this statistic alone is enough to make some say "Boston is not diverse."

That said, I think Boston is as diverse, if not MORE diverse than most cities in this country (NYC, SF, DC and a few others being exceptions). Once again, I just don't think visitors and passing college students see it since Boston's layout is a bit different than most cities and most ethnic groups are concentrated outside the city center (which is gentrified beyond beyond being affordable for a new immigrant). Boston has a large Asian population, but outside of the few small blocks that make up Chinatown, the community is mostly located elsewhere (Quincy). We have an extremely large pocket of immigrants from some of the Caribbean nations but that's located towards Mattapan outside the city center. There is a large Ethiopian presence, but that too is generally concentrated away from the city center. I'm not even getting to the Portuguese speaking immigrants (Portuguese/Azorean on the Southcoast to the Brazilians and Cape Vedeans in the city and just outside).

Anyone who says Boston isn't diverse either hasn't really experienced the whole city (by that I mean gone beyond the bubble that is where the colleges and tourist attractions are located). I really don't take offense to it. In fact, I find it laughably (and ironically) ignorant. Many who gripe about how Boston isn't "diverse" enough for them preach it from a pedestal even though they haven't taken the time to experience the vast array of ethnic groups the city has to offer.

No. If you rarely leave the area around your college (like most students) or you visit the sites downtown or work in the Financial District,you may not think Boston is diverse. However, if you fall into one of those categories, you haven't even scratched the surface of the city.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:47 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,010,551 times
I'm not sure why the population of "city center" is being held as the barometer for diversity.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:44 PM

But it's generally where most visitors (and students) stay. Thus it's what most people see when they make make the assumption that Boston is not diverse.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:42 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
I thought it was pretty amazingly diverse when I lived there. My college was around 60% gay/lesbian including the staff. My dorm had an Armenian, four people of germanic/slavic descent, two Irish people, one Asian, one girl from Columbia (the country, not the school), a few WASP-type guys, and I think our dorm director's ancestry was from Scotland. We had racial diversity, ethnic diversity, religious diversity (protestants, catholics, jews, one muslim, one guy into the Tao, and a pagan/wiccan.) Political diversity, financial diversity (scholarships, wealthy families footing the bill, working 3 jobs to cover the expenses, grants, and loans, to name a few), and diversity of interests. Even though our school was mostly "artistic" in nature. That was just my dorm, which had only 30 people living in it. We were across the street from Katherine Gibbs school, next door to the original "Cheers" (the Bull and Finch pub), had homeless people pushing carriages in the park right alongside company CEOs on their way to a martini meeting...the stinky nasty-stenching subway was half a block away from the Ritz-Carlton Hotel..

In my neighborhood, after I graduated college and moved to the outer edges of the city, we had people who spoke only Polish in the house, many "right off the boat" irish people, hispanics of various origins, several blacks, a handful of Indians (from India), and my next-door neighbor was of primarily Cherokee origin.

How much more diverse are you expecting?

Old 11-14-2010, 03:13 PM

22 posts, read 74,117 times
ONLY city( state) where spanish is not the second most common language, that would be Portuguese.

I can GUARANTEE you that Dorchester has more diversity than ANY other u.s city neighborhood. I have never lived in a city where large populations of Brazilians, Vietnamese, Caribbean-decent, Chinese Cape Verde-decent and whites all live within blocks of each other

Seattle, hahhh
San Francisco- diversity is overhyped, not as wide a range of people as made out to have

Old 11-15-2010, 09:52 AM

793 posts, read 1,141,476 times
Do thee people who say Boston is not diverse actually leave theeir homes?

Based on CSA, Boston has thee:

- 2nd largest Brazilian population in America
- Largest Cape Verdean
- 2nd largest Cambodian
- 3rd largest Dominican
- 3rd largest Haitian
- 4the largest Jamaican
- largest Portuguese/Azores
- 5th largest foreign born percentage of any city in thee US.

And anyone would be crazy to say theat theere is not a large representation of people from China, India, The middle east, Vietnam, etc, etc...

I guess alot of people are too ignorant or isolated to venture into Somerville, East Boston, JP, Roxbury and Dorchester. I live in Beacon Hill but being Jamaican I spend alot of time in Roxbury and Dorchester, its all about leaving your personal bubble and comfort zone. If not theen its your loss.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:50 PM

22 posts, read 74,117 times
even the some of the suburbs south of Boston have a wide range of diversity

Quincy, Randolph, Brockton, and even towns such as Stoughton and Canton present more diversity than you would find in most major city suburbs.

Also Boston area has one of the largest Jewish populations in the country.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:23 AM

793 posts, read 1,141,476 times
Good point Bostonsteve, also you have suburbs like Lawrence, Lowell, Lynn and Everett which are very diverse as well.

This was a good article in the Boston Globe today: Mass. a top pick among foreign students, study says - The Boston Globe

Keep in mind that alot of students, especially foreign students are typically not included in census statistics, so a large portion of Boston's diversity may not be obvious if someone is just looking on paper.

(Side note: I am not sure why my post above included so many extra "e's" really strange)

Old 11-16-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsteve77 View Post
ONLY city( state) where spanish is not the second most common language, that would be Portuguese.
I have seen this stat for the whole state and the heaviest concentration of Portuguese speaking immigrants is along the South Coast (Fall River/NB) and out in some of the 'burbs (Framingham). I haven't seen numbers, but is it also true for the city of Boston? Can you post a link or something?

Quote:
I can GUARANTEE you that Dorchester has more diversity than ANY other u.s city neighborhood. I have never lived in a city where large populations of Brazilians, Vietnamese, Caribbean-decent, Chinese Cape Verde-decent and whites all live within blocks of each other
Look, I believe that Boston is a LOT more diverse than many outsiders give it credit for. I think that it's a diverse city overall and that anyone who believes otherwise hasn't really seen the city. The neighborhoods of Dorchester are incredibly diverse as are the neighboring cities of Somerville, Cambridge, etc. I can certainly attest to many of the cities in the CSA being quite diverse as well. It's certainly nowhere near as "white" as some like to make it out to be.

However, how can you "GUARANTEE" that Dorchester is more diverse than any other neighborhood in the U.S.? I've seen some incredibly diverse neighborhoods in D.C., NYC and SF. Do you have statistics to back this up? Unless you can really back it up, making a statement like this is almost equally as ignorant as those who claim that Boston isn't diverse at all.

Quote:
San Francisco- diversity is overhyped, not as wide a range of people as made out to have
Based on what? My girlfriend lives there (Inner Richmond) and I spend a lot of time there. From what I've seen (statistically and from visiting), it's an incredibly diverse city. The other tenants in my girlfriend's building are: Chinese, Korean, Korean, Japanese, Russian, Somolian and British. There's one other girl from California (Mexican heritage). Every where you walk you hear different languages spoken. I'd hardly say San Francisco's diversity is overrated. It's got to be one of the most diverse cities in the country. That's not to say Boston isn't diverse, but can you REALLY downplay SF's diversity?

I can't speak for Seattle... I really don't know much about demographics there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or